...to help others.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

...to help others.

I suspect that most people who read the following will have already heard what I've got to say, so at the risk of repeating myself and to help others a little bit of compassion, patience and tolerance is required....

It's often suggested that in order for anyone to get into recovery, they must first hit their 'rock bottom'...however I've always liked the following illustrative idea, that getting into recovery is a bit like taking the elevator from the top floor of a high building.

Indicating that you can, if you wish, press the stop button and get off at any floor you want.

It's not necessary to let it go, with you in it, right down to the basement where it hits its 'rock bottom'.

Anyones recovery can start any time they want...just like you can alight from the elevator at any floor you choose.

I also liked the fact that in my recovery I met many people who told me that the decision that motivated them to quit drinking was taken , when they got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I've never forgotten these two suggestions and I know from personal experience, they helped others and me in recovery. Which suggest they're worth remembering for anyone.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I strongly agree. Bottom is where you say it is.

Further, some people are just born on the bottom. Waiting for those people to sink lower is going to be a long wait.