Refuge Recovery

Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Boleo, in the meetings, do they discuss this text specifically? Do they talk about any of Levine's other books, or do they reference any other writings on Buddhism?
We take turns reading a paragraph or two from the book Refuge Recovery, until one chapter has been read start to finish. The chapter changes each week. Those who do not have the book are loaned one for the duration of the
meeting.

No other Levine books have been mentioned, so far. Buddhism is only referenced if someone chooses to talk about it during their share time. As far as I can tell, no one is expected to learn much about Buddhism except what little is contained in the book.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
One thing I really like about it is that you don't have to define yourself as an addict and the conversation did not focus on drugs or alcohol.
I liked the fact that there is no perfunctory identification required at the start of a share. In fact, one of my ex-sponsors was with me and got scolded for asking another person to state his name at the start of his share. Anonymity may, or may not, be part of their protocol. At the very least, it's optional. They do have a Facebook page which is entirely optional.

At the start of the meeting there was an announcement regarding an up-coming local retreat, where it was mentioned that it was for "members only". Don't know what it means to be a member. I plan to find out next meeting.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
start wearing a loin cloth
Um...Tarzan was a Buddhist?!

It sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to reading the book for purposes of discussion here. I do wonder though what this type meeting might offer me as opposed to the general meetings and sittings at my local Buddhist temple, which are on all topics-not focused on addiction per se or "recovery" in that sense. I don't put my growth in that area as separate from my growth in life in general, and I don't need something to keep me from drinking, but sounds like from what you guys are saying, these meetings are in fact more general seeking/learning, which I would welcome.

Guess I'll find out when I try it out. lol
Old 04-16-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Same here, soberlicious. I'm also already involved in mindfulness and meditation practices, as well as meetings about Buddhist-type approaches and have been for a long time except the last ~2 years of my drinking when I stopped doing all that.

I still need to get into the book, but a question to those that have already read it and/or attended meetings. Does this also have a program like the 12 steps that people work through systematically? Does it involve working with a select person or persons, like a sponsor in AA? I like one-on-one interpersonal situations in compatible pairings (like in therapy) but I generally prefer being able to have flexibility to tailor things to my taste based on experience on the go, rather than following strictly set instructions. I benefited a lot from having a great teacher in meditation, for example; most of it was done in groups but I also had access to 1:1 consultations where we could discuss specific questions relevant to me. I also like how such interpersonal situations can sometimes affect me psychologically, which would not necessarily be up for discussion with a Buddhist guide but I can work with the info by myself and/or take it to my therapy sessions to dissect and see how it relates to my other experiences, past and present.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The program starts with an inventory.
Here is an excerpt from the book Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist path to recovering from addiction by Noah Levine.
Please forgive any typo I might have made.

The Process

Refuge Recovery follows the traditional Buddhist system of the Four Noble Truths, which begin with four actions.

1. We take stock of all the suffering we have experienced and caused as addicts.

2. We investigate the causes and conditions that lead to addiction and begin the process of letting go.

3. We come to understand that recovery is possible and take refuge in the path that leads to the end of addiction.

4. We engage in the process of the Eightfold Path that leads to recovery.

1. Understanding
2. Intention
3. Communication/community
4. Action/engagement
5. Livelihood/service
6. Effort/energy
7. Mindfulness/meditations
8. Concentration/meditations

I think that either Boleo or their website mentioned "mentors" but they said nothing about having a mentor at that meeting.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
a question to those that have already read it and/or attended meetings. Does this also have a program like the 12 steps that people work through systematically? Does it involve working with a select person or persons, like a sponsor in AA?
The book uses the Eightfold Path as a program. There is also inventory work regarding suffering as opposed to resentments. As near as I can tell, it does not say who should be approached with said inventory. It is also suggested that some type of service work be done:

"Livelihood/Service. We try to be of service to others when ever possible, using our time, energy and resources to help create positive change. We work toward securing a source of income/livelihood that causes no harm."
(page 25)
Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I think that either Boleo or their website mentioned "mentors" but they said nothing about having a mentor at that meeting.
I have not seen or heard of "Mentors" so far but you may have seen it elsewhere.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I found that pdf online
It is the 1st truth inventory
http://refugerecovery.org/downloads/...-Worksheet.pdf
I also found that blog
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 04-16-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I found that pdf online
It is the 1st truth inventory
http://refugerecovery.org/downloads/...-Worksheet.pdf
I also found that blog
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Thanks Carlotta;

They only text I could find regarding a "Mentor" is:

"Many people come to meetings to meditate or to compliment their Twelve-Step recovery program. Many people also come and work the program, follow the teachings, work the inventories, and find a mentor."
Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Boleo - Thanks for posting about this. I've just spent the past three weeks reading thru several books about meditation and Buddhism (particularly what's often referred to as the Insight Meditation Movement). I've also started to incorporate daily "sitting" mediation into my routine, and it really does make a difference for me. I'm definitely going to take a closer look at the Refuge Recovery site. -- thanks again.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It doesn't surprise me that service to others is suggested. Those who practice tonglen actually seek to breathe in the suffering of others and breathe out lovingkindness. I do not like when service to others is only defined as "working with another alcoholic". Seeking to be a part of the wholeness of everything by serving others in big and small ways encompasses so many things.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My brother is Buddhist and we have had numerous interesting conversations about the teachings and practices as they relate to life in general and my struggles with addiction.

Lots of universe truths by the great teachers of the world.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
oak

I attended a few f2f Refuge Recovery meetings and one phone meeting. I liked them a lot. I am very excited about Refuge Recovery and hoping it fits for me as a longterm sober community.

There are also Shambhala Heart of Recovery meetings, if you are lucky enough to live in the right location. I don't know of a central website for them or a specific book.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Found out that the up-coming retreat requires a $20 fee upfront and full contact information for the registration process. All those speaking have their full names on the flyer and nowhere do I see anyone using their first name/last initial.

Guess that's what they mean by "members only".
Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I think there is some kind of affiliation with Against The Stream Buddhist Meditation Society
Against The Stream Buddhist Meditation Society
and some of the speakers might not be alcoholics but might teach meditation.

I have gone to 12 steps women's retreats before and they did require full information and upfront payment too so this is not unusual. People have to pay a fee and register with their full names and addresses for the AA convention in Atlanta too.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm really interested in this. I have been on an 8 week course to learn the practice of mindfulness meditation, and I'm keen to move forward.

I can't seem to find any meetings in the UK. I have contacted them directly to ask if they exist here. Does anyone happen to know?
Old 04-18-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I can't seem to find any meetings in the UK. I have contacted them directly to ask if they exist here. Does anyone happen to know?
Do you live anywhere near Swindon?
Old 04-19-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Do you live anywhere near Swindon?
No, not really. It would be several hours drive for me. I've contacted refuge Recovery and am awaiting a response to see if there is anything closer. Thanks Boleo
Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your experience and the link. I really like the sound of this. I will go on the hunt for a meeting!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just wanted to bump that thread.