"I'm not lost ...."

Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

"I'm not lost ...."

In recovery, I now realize the truth in the following, taken from nA.A.Milne's book,'Winnie the Pooh',

"I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, were I am is lost."

For example I now understand that friendships exist where those involved provide each other with emotional support. Which can be anything from shared laughter to dealing with more serious matters...

And that they, together with good relationships flourish where those involved make each other happy in just being themselves.

In my delusional drinking days I was oblivious to this and misguidedly, tended to get it all, the other way around, thinking that, perhaps through the fear, guilt, low self esteem and self loathing, so common in alcoholics still drinking, the onus was always on me...

Now at 68 and living, more through circumstance than choice, a relatively isolated existence, albeit I enjoy my solitude, I'll admit, I do sometimes get lonely. I suspect the opportunities to put any of this into practice will be limited, particularly in real terms.

Still, I know I'm not lost, which is one of the great benefits of being sober and compared to my delusional drinking days, you can't ask more than that ....
Old 04-09-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love that quote! Thank goodness for online support, although it can still feel lonely in life, any support/friendship is helpful. X
Old 04-17-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
In recovery, I now realize the truth in the following, taken from nA.A.Milne's book,'Winnie the Pooh',

"I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, were I am is lost."

Still, I know I'm not lost, which is one of the great benefits of being sober and compared to my delusional drinking days, you can't ask more than that ....
Cut and pasted that quote into my email signature, Thank you!