Need some uplifting quotes

Old 08-19-2004, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some uplifting quotes

A dear friend of mine is going through a rough time right now, nothing really to do with Sober Recovery, she's discovered her that her daughter has been cutting herself, so she's done some looking around and has found a site where kids with this problem have been posting. Her heart is breaking for all of these kids, so she's on a search for uplifting, positive messages/quotes, to keep them going from day to day. Some of these kids apparently have led some horrific lives. My friend is a wonderful mother, and her daughter is on the mend. She's very big on mothering wayward children and giving them hope, and a new chance at life, she currently has two teenagers living in her home that she took in because their parents just couldn't be bothered with them. But anyway, if you could help me out with some uplifting tid bits that I can pass on to her, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

I don't have any good quotes to offer but you can direct her to google.com and type in "teenage self mutilation" and you'll find many resources to pass on to her.
http://teenagerstoday.com/resources/...s/mutilate.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...elf+mutilation
Old 08-19-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

If it is meant to be it begins with me.....
Old 08-19-2004, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Affirmations that they are worth something. Letting them know they are not alone.
Letting them know you care and are ready to listen (if you are) To get involved would mean to give a commitment. Abandon them before they are ready to leave on their own just adds to a mistrust that they may feel for outsiders. (noncutters)
Those I have talked with have come from a troubled life. In their own eyes and some for real.
Being a Christian and sharing the hope that Jesus gives has helped as well.
Streams in the desert is a book of hope based on the Psalms.
Such affirmations as found in that book I have found to uplift many.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

What an awesome friend you have. She sounds amazing. Quotes have always helped me through the tough times. Here are a few I like alot.

When you think at that moment that it is possible-then the magic starts.
~Siegfried

Put your ear down next to your soul and listen hard.
~Anne Sexton

There are many wonderful things that will never be done if you do not do them.
~Charles D. Gill

You see, there is no more purpose or meaning in the world than you put into it.
~Hans Reichenbach

If people don't agree with you, so what? If people agree with you, so what?
~Dr. Robert Anthony

Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.
~Alan Keightley

Think for yourself. No one else is qualified.
~Frank Vizarre

Are you in earnest? Then seize this very minute. Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Only engage and then the mind grows heated; only begin, and then the goal will be completed.
~Goethe

I will get out my other favorites tomorrow and post them. Give your friend a ((((HUGE HUG))))) for me...and a (((HUGE HUG)))) for you too for being such a thoughtful friend.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Affirmations that they are worth something. Letting them know they are not alone.
Letting them know you care and are ready to listen (if you are) To get involved would mean to give a commitment. Abandon them before they are ready to leave on their own just adds to a mistrust that they may feel for outsiders. (noncutters)

Oh she's committed, she truly has a heart of gold. She'd probably adopt them all if she could. LOL I think her daughter's issues are a chemical imbalance, I talked to her and there's a bit of mental disorders within her family. But now, she's come across these kids who have just had the most horrific lives and she is now Mother Hen. It probably stems from her crappy treatment growing up, she's made a huge effort to be the best parent for her daughter.

I just feel awful for her and want to help her out the best that I can. Soooo, since I'm not a really touchy feely kind of person, the best I can do is dig up things she's looking for. They can be any kind of quotes, funny, uplifting etc... She just wants to help these kids get through the day. So please do post anything and everything that's helped you out or made you laugh.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

BEHIND EVERY
SUCCESSFUL WOMAN
IS HERSELF

A WOMAN IS LIKE A TEA BAG....
YOU DON'T KNOW HOW STRONG
SHE IS UNTIL YOU PUT HER
IN HOT WATER

I HAVE YET TO HEAR A MAN
ASK FOR ADVICE ON HOW
TO COMBINE MARRIAGE
AND A CAREER

COFFEE, CHOCOLATE, MEN.
SOME THINGS ARE JUST
BETTER RICH

I'M OUT OF ESTROGEN
And I HAVE A GUN

WARNING: I HAVE AN ATTITUDE
AND I KNOW HOW
TO USE IT

OF COURSE I DON'T LOOK BUSY...
I DID IT RIGHT
THE FIRST TIME

DO NOT START WITH ME.
YOU WILL NOT WIN

ALL STRESSED OUT
AND NO ONE
TO CHOKE

And last but not least:

IF YOU WANT BREAKFAST IN BED,
SLEEP IN THE KITCHEN
Old 08-19-2004, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

A smile is the same in every language..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cr-179.jpg (14.9 KB, 1867 views)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

and this smile of course!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
db1042_125.gif (5.6 KB, 1586 views)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2stop
What an awesome friend you have. She sounds amazing. Quotes have always helped me through the tough times. Here are a few I like alot.

I will get out my other favorites tomorrow and post them. Give your friend a ((((HUGE HUG))))) for me...and a (((HUGE HUG)))) for you too for being such a thoughtful friend.

Thank you soooo much, I will pass on everything to her. Here's a funny footnote, neither of us will reveal any serious forum we freqent. The general population considers us both to be cold hearted b!tches. Her nickname is "the queen of mean" LOL, so we try to keep up appearances, even with each other. LOL, she sent me a message today thanking me for a quote and some advice I'd given her to give to these kids, and I responded, "well lets not make a big deal of it, and please don't blow my cover". LOL
Old 08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

LOL!!! You guys sound pretty neat to me.......cold blooded my %*#. I think you all are great...oops, am I blowing a cover?? Sorry!!!
Meanie! Meanie! Meanie!! LOL............

*hugs*
Old 08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not a Dr, just work from my heart here. The few parents I have been able to talk with have said the same... I try my best to give what she needs and be the best parent I know how to be. The parents themselves end up lost in a world of not knowing what to do. Encouragement for all of them to seek support from a Dr I think would be a good idea. Treatment through counseling.

As far as what can you do for your friend? Be a friend. She may reach a point of feeling she has a full plate. Overwelmed, emotionally drained.
Be there when you can as needed. In my opinion, the words from her heart will give her the needed quotes as needed. The tears do flow. You want to just reach out and make it all stop. The serenity prayer should be stuck on her glasses so she can always see it and remeber... we can only do so much.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

This made me laugh!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
afd233_125.gif (3.6 KB, 1872 views)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy

A WOMAN IS LIKE A TEA BAG....
YOU DON'T KNOW HOW STRONG
SHE IS UNTIL YOU PUT HER
IN HOT WATER
Have you ever seen a guy chuck ice cubes like no tomorrow? *LOL*
Sorry I didn't take pictures *LOL*
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Not a Dr, just work from my heart here. The few parents I have been able to talk with have said the same... I try my best to give what she needs and be the best parent I know how to be. The parents themselves end up lost in a world of not knowing what to do. Encouragement for all of them to seek support from a Dr I think would be a good idea. Treatment through counseling.

As far as what can you do for your friend? Be a friend. She may reach a point of feeling she has a full plate. Overwelmed, emotionally drained.
Be there when you can as needed. In my opinion, the words from her heart will give her the needed quotes as needed. The tears do flow. You want to just reach out and make it all stop. The serenity prayer should be stuck on her glasses so she can always see it and remeber... we can only do so much.
Her daughter starts counseling today and they've put her on prozac. This has all come about just last week. Well who knows how long she's been cutting herself, but mom and dad just discovered it last week, caught her in the kitchen doing it in the middle of the night.

Speaking of prozac, does anyone have experience taking it? I'm just curious as to what effect it has. I also wonder how it interacts with other drugs, her daughter takes medication for epilepsy. I suppose her doctor has taken that in to consideration. Oh well, I'm just rambling. LOL