...he made Mothers.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

...he made Mothers.

Recovery is remembering on this day, Sun., 15th March.

One of Rudyard Kipling quotes,'God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made Mothers,' the gratitude in this, for me, being that I was at least sober at the time of my mothers passing, nearly six years ago and have remained so ever since.

So, to mothers and ladies everywhere,'Happy Mothers Day!'....
Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Apparently...

Apparently, so I'm now informed, Mothers Day falls on May 10th in the US, whereas here in the UK and the rest of Europe, it was yesterday, March 15. Not that it really matters, I was still sober on my Mothers passing...

As I hope, all in recovery arer , this and every day...apologies to the more pedantic who may have been offended by this unwitting duplicity.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No worries by me...

I'll be happy when youse guyz finally learn to drive on the 'correct' side of the Road! As told in the fantastic Film 'The Imitation Game', I guess helping win WW II by breaking German Message Code was paying it forward to the Free World, eh?-)
Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thanks for that...

Hi, thanks for that, not least as I seem to have 'ruffled one persons feathers' by failing to take into account the commemorative date difference, not just in the US but in other parts of the world! Apparently I'm expected to 'be all man, to all men' a bit above my pay grade, sorry.

It's quite fun 'driving on the wrong side' of the road, especially when holidaying in France and motoring along a country road, I'd inadvertently drifted over to the left side. Only to frighten the life out of an oncoming rural French motorist, sacre bleu!!! lol ....

Alan Turing's efforts in cracking the enigma code had a great impact on WW2 and long after. The pity is that due to the homophobic laws that existed in the UK, 'back in the day' after being prosecuted, which resulted in a chemical castration, for his homosexuality. He committed suicide, who knows what more his undoubted talent, intelligence and ability would have brought to the world.

A brilliant man with a brilliant mind!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

ps.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Today, 17th of March, I know for all those of Irish descent I've at least got that one right!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

One needn't be all things to all folks, but when one states something as being fact, one should have done his/her research to ensure his/her 'facts' are actually factual.

Kinda like if I were to say that we celebrate St Patrick's Day because he banished snakes from Ireland............what silliness. There's no evidence that there ever were snakes in Ireland, therefore St. Patrick couldn't have banished many snakes, because there weren't any native snakes to begin with.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup, St. patty is a big one here in STL (that's mizzera to us'm). Kids even had green eggs 'n ham at school--whoopee! Other than that it's a huge drunkfest with paraders downtown and festivities even out here in Mayberr.They start at 8 am and that would have been late for me but this year it was business as usual for our family. Grilled out, did some yardwork and opened up the house. As for mums day, you almost had me red. Luckily for me my mom's bday coincides with cinco-de-mayo and I know mum's day in my world is always about a week later.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy st patricks redmayne
Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I was on another recovery site and someone posted that March 15 was mother's day. I was all WHAT and looked it up and didn't notice it was for UK. I called my husband and told him he needed to get something for his mom. Now I am taking a lot of guff over it. My friends are asking me if I have done my Christmas shopping yet and asking me what I am going to be for Halloween. Beware the Ides of March Redmayne!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A national panic

I've been told 'ad nauseam' that because Mothers Day falls on the 15th of March in the UK and other parts of Europe that I've unwittingly started a national panic in the US. A bit like Orson Welles reading H.G.Wells,'War of the Worlds' on the radio, convincing the American public the martians had landed!

But hey! Mothers here and in the rest of the world, get that way in exactly the same way, I can only recall one immaculate conception in the Bible unless I've missed something? I mean Father Christmas is real right?

So, I don't know what all the fuss is about? Nobody told me that in recovery, I was somehow expected to be all things to all men, or all Mothers and their offspring.

So you can keep your Ides of March, see if I care, that post is 4 days old now, why are you living in the past, when you should be living in the present? You, like me probably did enough of that in you drinking days....
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Et tu, Brute?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Carpe deum!

Carpe deum!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

BTW, one more thing to add to your 'To Do' List - right after getting Mother's Day and Driving correct - is to figger out which Weekend is best to set your Clocks there forward & back Seasonally.

Just because you have the Greenwich Observatory there - one Reference Standard of Worldwide Time - doesn't mean the U.K. calls the shots on all this Time-related 'stuff'!-) Visiting there - after schlepping through the Tunnel under the River - was one of my favorite Geek Travel Stops ever.

Oh, and see what you can do about that whole 'Beans With Brekkie' thing there. And, put more Ice in your Sodas for crying out loud! I'm not even gonna touch the Metric System right now...

Signed ~ MISTER Ugly American

Royal Marine Observatory

-----
Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I was on another recovery site and someone posted that March 15 was mother's day. I was all WHAT and looked it up and didn't notice it was for UK. I called my husband and told him he needed to get something for his mom. Now I am taking a lot of guff over it. My friends are asking me if I have done my Christmas shopping yet and asking me what I am going to be for Halloween. Beware the Ides of March Redmayne!
My husband had a coworker who once convinced his wife that Easter was going to be on a Monday that year.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
My husband had a coworker who once convinced his wife that Easter was going to be on a Monday that year.
It happens. I pointed out to my husband that maybe if they did something for me on mother's day I might actually remember when it was.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Jury's still out ...

Jury's still out on that one, I sent my son a Fathers Day card on the basis of him being the Father of my 4yr old Grandson, a couple of years ago. In the vain hope he might remember who his own father is... I'm still waiting....

Unless of course his mother was economical with the truth at the time of his conception...