An interesting guy....

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An interesting guy....

Apparently, Shido Bunan Zenji was a relatively uncultured , illiterate man who acted as innkeeper in his families business.

Where, on the occasions of his visits, staying overnight, he would spend time talking to a Zen Master...

Regrettably, his carousing overtook his responsibilities to the inn and his family expelled him. In blunt terms because he was a drunk!

Rumours began to circulate about this man, who lived a monastic life in a ramshackle hut from where short verses of a very profound nature, bound in Zen philosophy emanated.

The most well known of these being, metaphorically speaking,

'To die while alive,

Thoroughly die.

Then just do as you please,

And all will be well.'

Intrigued by this, a highly respected, much venerated Zen Master decided to visit the ramshackle hut. On entry he found Zenji sitting on a tatty, 'tatami' mat and instantly realized, by virtue of the occupants demeanour and state of mind. That Zenji was a living personification of not only his own words but Zen philosophy itself, and he, himself was now in the presence of a Master....

Relating recovery and life itself, the words of the verse provide, what I think, is an apt description of the necessary action to be taken to recover from alcoholism or any addiction.

Accepting, of course, we all all free to choose our own path to recovery, particularly those better informed and more worthy than I, far be it for me to direct others as to their actions and behaviour.

Albeit I see nothing wrong in sharing experience, strength and hope, perhaps, by way, as in this case, bearing in mind what Carl Rogers said,'I can't teach anybody anything. All I can do is create the environment in which they will learn.'