'Lions led by donkeys'

Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'Lions led by donkeys'

The phrase,'Lions led by donkeys' is popularly used to describe British infantry of World War 1 and to blame the indifferent , incompetent generals (donkeys) who, so often, led the brave soldiers (lions) to defeat and death.

On reflection, in recovery, I've realized that apart from time spent with my late Mother together with my beloved Grandparents, after effectively leaving home at 15, at least 15 years before the insidious, self destructive grip of alcohol took hold of me.

Until my recovery, now well over 6 years ago. Most of my life was my being akin to my being a lion, led by donkeys. Donkeys who often lived in a fantasy land of imagined, self serving, patronising superiority. Which did both them and others more harm than good, and which in reality never existed!

In recovery, I realized that the original Buddha or 'Enlightened One', for we are all buddhas , suggestion that we should rely on ourselves, brought on by our own self reliance and experience. Mine, in both areas now being, both god and bad, quite considerable, including my time spent drinking and in recovery.Is the exact opposite to 'a lion being led by donkeys' and the most self sustaining if we are to lead a peaceful, sober, happy existence.

Together with the fact I believe, note not have faith, having faith means believing in someone or something that may or may not exist. In the God of my understanding, which may not be yours or anyone else's, whether it be a He, She or It, who is personal to me.

We all got here by different paths and we'rec all free to chose our own paths of recovery, on that basis, I take no issue with those who hold views in this area different to mine nor do I expect any in return. If your path to recovery works for you and provides prolonged, permanent sobriety,we should all celebrate.

The one thing I'm sure of is that the God of my understanding, is neither a lion or a donkey, who was caring enough of me and powerful enough when I was at the point, in my view of dying from the disease/illness of alcoholism, to save me from that fate and at the same time remove any desire to drink alcohol ever again!

I also remember angels come in many forms, not necessarily human. There's been the odd one or two of those in my life,but I've yet to see, though it may yet happen. A donkey or lion amongst them....