Enjoy the experience...

Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have enjoyed reading this thread. One year plus sober and still enjoying the pink cloud of sobriety. Listening to AA speaker CDs helps me connect to other alcoholics as well as meetings at my home group. It's the spark of the God consciousness within me that connects with the spark of the God consciousness in them at meetings and now on this site.
The promises all have come true, however, after I completed the steps.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have found the best advice about recovery is living a full life and rebuilding a rich life full of spirituality, relationships, activities, and hobbies that help us all find peace and enjoyment.

I would love for this to be easy, but its not. It requires getting ourselves out of our comfort zone and getting into the world. Being prepared to have our expectations not be met, and then picking ourselves up and trying again and again until we find a way that is happy for us.

Alcohol gives us the delusion that it will be easy, all we have to do is take a few drinks and all of the doubt and pain will melt away, but in fact that NEVER leads to happiness. Instead getting out of our selves and learning to become part of our community is what true recovery is to me.

Simply not drinking and not doing any of the work to be a better person and continually enrich your life is probably as good of a definition of dry drink as any. Simply removing the alcohol is the first step, and as is often noted, the only step in the 12 steps that mentions alcohol. The rest of the work is about building our own character and becoming the person that alcohol kept us from realizing.

AA is a great place to start. And for some of us, it gives the structure to learn about others and see our struggles aren't so unique. Some people find this to be enough, and that is why it is a wonderful program. Others need more, and that is fine too, but we need to seek it out.

Buddhism is great, as is all forms of religion and spirituality, but we need more to fill our lives.

There are several threads on here which give lists of 100 things to do to get your life back. They are all about getting active and doing work on yourself to be in society.

Don't every give up. There is so much strength hope and courage that comes from trying and failing that will make us better people.

Who knows, along the way, we may even learn to love ourselves!

Peace and blessings to all of us on the path. And even more wishes of well for everyone thinking about embarking on this journey!