The deeper you go, the deeper it goes...

Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The deeper you go, the deeper it goes...

Im STILL fixing things that I screwed up while drunk!

After more than two years, I keep finding things that I did that were completely disorganized, self sabotaging, and error filled.

On my computer, in my files, in my finances, not to mention my personal life.

I am, at the very least, grateful for the opportunity to make these things right.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate entirely.

Issues from my substance abuse that began four years ago still follow me. Overtime, I took the approach of just deciding what baggage I needed to keep and which I could let go. Financial issues I understand of course are sometimes unavoidable once you find yourself in such a position, trust me I can relate. You're already making the right moves posting here about it. Stay strong, stay true. Another thing I do is try to focus on issues I can work on and putting issues that I'd like to correct but cannot on the back-burner, so to speak. I'm not saying avoid them entirely, but perhaps having a plan ready when you can confront the shadows of yesteryear. I know that someday, if a certain individual in my pasts contacts me, I will do everything I can to mend that bridge. But I can't mend it myself, that individual has to contact me first. As I say, I can so relate.

Hope you're having a decent day otherwise. Here's a song if you feel you'd like some cheering up:
Jim Croce - I've Got A Name https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVBzLGAIbU
"Like the singing bird or the croaking toad, I've got a name, I've got a name."
Old 11-13-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You sure seem happy with it too. The pair of you. How inspiring.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkLife View Post
You sure seem happy with it too. The pair of you. How inspiring.
Oh you really didn't read the humor in my post, did you....

It is inspiring. I have turned my entire life around, I was on a dead end path towards certain miserable death, and here I am, trying to figure out how I could function at all for years with such a mess around me.

It's a perspective thing I guess. I was in addiction for close to thirty years, it's a process of learning everything over.

Part of my recovery today is acknowledging how I feel, frustrations, successes, everything, and reacting DIFFERENTLY. I was pointing out that there is something to be grateful for in all this. I have dead friends who would probably have loved to be straightening out their past mistakes today.

And to share, that even after being in recovery for a while, much still continues to be revealed.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Part of my recovery today is acknowledging how I feel, frustrations, successes, everything, and reacting DIFFERENTLY. I was pointing out that there is something to be grateful for in all this. I have dead friends who would probably have loved to be straightening out their past mistakes today.

And to share, that even after being in recovery for a while, much still continues to be revealed.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Im STILL fixing things that I screwed up while drunk!

After more than two years, I keep finding things that I did that were completely disorganized, self sabotaging, and error filled.
Yes, cleaning up the wreckage of my past has been one hell of a thing to do.
Don't feel too bad,
eight years sober here and still have some.

But, the thought gets better for us DoubleBarrel
when we realize that if we don't drink today
we will (probably) not add to the wreckage.

MM
Old 11-14-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've kind of adopted a, "What would you have done while drinking? Then do the opposite," approach.

Amazing how much less stress there is when I just do the right thing now and can move on.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just had more revealed yesterday. I was at work and the last name of a member jumped out of the page at me.

I was like DAHHHHHM I forgot about him, I stuck him with a bad check, I owe him $200.

In the past I would have felt horrible, back lashed myself with all sorts of stuff, came up with all types of justifications with some rationalization sprinkled on top and then tried to drink it away, again!

Today I simply started searching for him on the internet. I feel bad but I have the opportunity to make it right if I can find him. If I can’t I am thinking of donating the $200 to a charity in his name.