New2Board/Pregnancy & Withdrawal- Help!

Old 07-29-2004, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy New2Board/Pregnancy & Withdrawal- Help!

Hello to All....

I came across this board while searching the web for answers to my dilemma..

I'm 39 & newly pregnant for the 1st time in my life... I'm about 5 weeks along.. This is a planned pregnancy tho' at the time, we hadn't been 'actively trying' to conceive (it was my intention to 'wean' myself from coffee & weed before trying to get pregnant)..

My dilemma is this...

I've been smoking weed daily for at least a year... Pretty heavily, at least in my book. Also, I've regularly had a strong cup or 2 (& sometimes more) of coffee daily for a long time (years)... Everything was just fine until I found out I was pregnant & decided to go 'cold turkey' with both the caffeine and weed. I was ok until the withdrawal began which was a couple of days in. The problem is that I believe this has sent my blood sugar & adrenals into a state of 'freaking out'..... I have all the signs of hypoglycemia and I feel in the absolute verge of PANIC, all day long... It comes in waves... I even hate to eat because this (along with going to the bathroom -- sorry!) causes me additional anxiety.

I have an appointment (Thank GOD!) tomorrow morning, but it's been all I could do to not go to the Emergency Room to find out what's going on...

I know that Blood Sugar is affected by preg. hormones (the hcg), AND, that withdrawl ALSO affects sugar levels, so I wonder if I shouldn't have gone cold turkey?? Have any others experienced this?? What was the best way to naturally easy yourself out of feeling this way?? Did you consider or try 'going back' to minute amounts of caffeine &/or weed, to ease the withdrawal??

I have tried ALL THAT I KNOW to help myself.. Hot showers, lots of rest, hypoglycemic diet (every 2 hrs).. I'm crying all day long and positively DESPERATE for some advice or help & coudn't find ANYTHING on the web to help me... PLEASE... Is there ANYONE who can help me?? I would be eternally grateful... I don't want to do anything at all to harm our baby, but I don't know how I will be able to cope if this keeps up or if the doctor cannot find anything wrong w/my blood sugar (or whatever)..

As a side note...Other than these 2 things, I take very good care of myself.. My diet is fine, I exercise & take nutritional supplements (I work in the nutrition dept. of a large Natural Foods store) and had a healthy lifestyle most of my life.

Thank you in advance for any/all input or advice you can offer.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

hi mama !

Welcome to SR and congradulations on your pregnancy and for doing absolutely the right thing by giving up drugs ! Cynthia has given you some great advice . I am thinking once you talk to the Doctor you will be reassured.God bless you and your family .Prayers Trish
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome...
Like Cynthia said, you should start to feel better pretty quickly.
It will just take a little time for your body to adjust.
Have you tried ginger tea? That will help with the nausea.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found getting out my own head always works for me. Only think about your new unborn child and what you have to do for this child. Think only of this person that you have chose to bring into this world. Stay in the moment, say to yourself I will do this today because I love my child and I will learn to be unselfish and sacrifice what I want for the love of my unborn child. Find peace and serenity in knowing that you are a strong women that will be gracious and loving and giving in your journey of your pregnancy and motherhood. Reach out to recieve all the support and help that you can, be honest and ask questions that you need the answers to. Your life is not about you anymore it is about you and the child that you share your body with. I use to think that having a child was a right for every women, I now know that life is a gift...and having life's most precious experience(having a child) is also a gift. I used Square Breathing to help me through the mental cravings from the drugs that I choice to use....You breath in slowly to the count of FOUR...hold for the count of FOUR...breathout for the count of FOUR...hold out for the count of FOUR.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you so much, SFCynthia, Miraclen2003, KelKel & Squirrel, for your thoughts & advice and support... I'm still feeling quite awful, but think I'm on to something with how I've been handling the bloodsugar swings so I'm a bit better & a bit more hopeful I'll feel better soon... I wish I could respond in more detail to all your thoughtful posts, but I must go lie down... (((Big HUGS)))) to you all.. Thank you so much for replying and caring about someone you've never met... I'll never forget this.

ETA: Nothing is more important to me than this baby.. I will suffer all I must. I won't be drinking coffee or smoking (I don't smoke cigarettes..Just had been weed) from here forward, no matter what. Thanks again for your kind words & support.