"I'm worth more than this!"

Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

"I'm worth more than this!"

"I'm worth more than this!" some thing I thought and said to myself in the dark days of my 'alcohell', enhanced by the fact I'd twice lost everything, other than my son, through the irresponsible and selfish behaviour and actions of others.

Whom, as was later explained to me by a person well qualified in such matters showed the signs and symptoms of suffering from a type of mental disorder that is not immediately apparent to an ordinary person, and was, in it's own right quite separate from my alcoholism.

Although I wouldn't sway away that my delusional state of mind caused by my alcohol intake didn't contribute in anyway to help matters.

I also often heard from other alcoholics, now in recovery and even those with some sobriety the phrase, used to describe why and how they got into recovery, 'I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired', which seem as good as validation for their reasoning as any.

Although now enjoying a prolonged period of sobriety, and applying the principle the name of my disease/illness is alcohol-ISM, the alcohol being but a symptom. In learning to adapt to the -ISM's, which as I see it is a life lived in sobriety, with all it's attendant responsibilities and commitments, I still, as one of the mainstays think to myself,'I'm worth more than this,' using it to strengthen my recovery and sobriety and maintain my idea of my own self worth.

Something so easily lost in my drinking days, but well worth fighting for both in recovery and sobriety,if only to restore my dignity and status as a human being. Able to once more enjoy the freedom it brings, together with responsibility in a society that once rejected me!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are absolutely right , Redmayne, thanks for the heads up sir.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you read some cool stuff, Redmayne!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'd recommend ...

Thank you .... three of my favourite books are 'Johnathan Livingston Seagull. a character I was once identified with, perhaps not least as one critic of the book, described him as an 'anarchic christian', but I'll let others be the judge of that...

Described as one of the most spiritual books ever written...

And , 'Illusions:The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah', followed many years later by the 'lost' book that came from it,'Messiah's Handbook ', all by Richard Bach...

Perhaps ot to everyone's taste, but their contents all make sense to me!