All worth while...

Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

All worth while...

Today, at 7.30am, UK time I received a 'phone call from my grandson, just turned four wishing my ,'Happy Birthday.' The first one I've ever had and special not just because today I turned 68, but because on checking the Sobriety Calendar, I find I'm 2404 days sober on a day exactly 2405 ago, I never expected to see.

When alone and so debilitated by the effects of alcohol and my alcoholism, I couldn't even stand up and had to crawl to my bed on my stomach, like a snake. There to lie terrified, in far and crying begging and pleading that someone or something would relieve me of my alcoholism.

Amazingly, a combination in the belief in the God of my understanding, together with a knowledge and understanding of the Four Noble Steps of Buddhism, which relate to suffering, cause of, cessation and enlightenment did!

When it became apparent that over the next 4 days my tolerance and desire to drink alcohol had left me, since which time I've slowly got better and learned to live my life in sobriety. Which for others who've done so, as I'm sure they'd agree with me, isn't easy, tellya!

Until this morning, the proudest moments I've had in recovery, where that I was sober at my late Mother's passing in 2009 , and still sober at my grandson's birth in 2010, almost exactly a year later.

What's really great about today,is that instead of my son taking me for a 'swish' lunch an upmarket restaurant, it's been decided that the two of us will meet up, gab a bite to eat, and then go and pick me grandson, Jude up from school band buy a cake and some goodies to take home for an impromptu , totally unexpected birthday party.

If anybody asked me, today, right now,'What is recovery', particularly if they're new or struggling, I'd say that is, as it makes it all worthwhile ...
Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday Redmayne - hope the year ahead is a good as today was

D
Old 09-15-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Happy B Day! Grandkids rock, don't they .
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done papaw! Congratulations and happy birthday!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you...

Thank you to each and everyone of you, more than I expected or deserved and I don't say that lightly nor with any sense of false modesty....