Contempt prior to investigation

Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Contempt prior to investigation

You don't often hear or see this, yet for me it's one of the most profound statements in the book Alcoholics Anonymous, to be found in Apendice 2, 'Spiritual Experience' on page 568, 4th Ed., one of the few books that's never lied to me and recovery and sobriety...

'There is a principle which is bar to all information,which is proof arguments and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation' Hubert Spencer.

Which is great as it allows the flexibility for each alcoholic, remembering that recovery and sobriety is each person's responsibility, no one can do it for you to find their own way of doing so ...

The suggested 12 Step program of recovery is exactly that, suggested, if you can find a better way, no problem I admire and applaud you, well done!

However for me, I think of Jack Brennan's words, said many years ago but which still hold a powerful influence over me.

To pursue them is a bit like jumping from an aeroplane in flight. If you're going to do that it's best undertaken with a parachute (the 12 steps) then all you have to do is pull the ripcord (take the action) and you float down, nice and gently to the ground.

Of course if you want to jump out of the 'plane without one, there's every possibility you'll end up with the same consequences as will happen if you keep on drinking.