Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Does anyone just use online recovery as their program?

Does anyone just use online recovery as their program?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Me to!

Whilst I've relied on SR since shortly after being relieved of my alcoholic drinking/dependency in Feb.,2008, there's been a 'reincarnation' on here since then, I to, in attempting to make spiritual progress, both enjoy and take a great interest in reading spiritual books not least anything by the Dalai Lama and other noted Buddhist teachers, e.g. Soko Morinaga and the writings of Richard Bach, perhaps most well known for,'Johnathan Livingston Seagull' et al .... plus anything else that attracts me through a least having a degree of authenticity and credibility..based on the premise that anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned....
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have been going to AA regularly since 1988 and haven't changed my sobriety date, so I will stick with it.

But I certainly enjoy this forum a lot.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Magsie

I use this forum, preferable for me any time of the day or night.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Responding to the OP:

I have used online forums/chats such as sober-recovery when detoxing with great success. Whenever I relapsed, I would come here to knock myself back onto the right track.

Now though I am starting to think it's simply not enough, but everyone is different and depending on your commitment, you may find it to be enough or you may not. You simply don't know until you try.

And why not experiment? The beauty of free-will is we get to decide what the best path to sobriety is ourselves.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm trying SR only at the moment. I'm kind of a loner, and not inclined to groups.

I like to think of my attempt at recovery as an experiment into the efficacy of Internet-based counseling . . .
Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

SR has been the one constant in my pursuit of recovery. It's the first place Google took me to when I was alone and scared and using, and I'm very lucky that it did. I've done psychotherapy and in the run-up to quitting alcohol I attended some AA meetings. Every once in a few months I get the urge and attend a few meetings but I have to admit the momentum subsides and I end up stopping for weeks and often months.

Having SR is fundamental to my recovery. I can be literally anywhere in the world and check in on my cell phone and get centered and refocus on what's at stake or just see what my daily recovery group is experiencing.

I am also an extremely private person. This persist of recovery has helped open me up some, but all things being equal, I don't particularly like the meet and greet of AA. It's just not who I am and how I relate to people I have found. It's a tremendous tool I will continue to rely upon and hopefully be able to give back to one day, but I consider SR primary. If everything else suddenly ceased to exist, I'd be fine as long as SR. was still here