My tears ...

Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

My tears ...

As a man, I've never been ashamed to cry openly, as and when the occasion or circumstances demand it. Although professionally, like most professionals I learned to hold them back whilst I dealt with the physical and emotional trauma displayed in others in the various traumatic situations I had to deal with.

Allowing me to take some time to myself, away from the gaze of others to feel both theirs and my pain and allow my emotions their natural outlet.

Now in both recovery and sobriety, still in my own privacy when undertaking the time set aside for prayer and meditation, which I try to allow for on a daily basis. I often find myself crying tear of relief, gratitude and forgiveness, both of others and myself together with sheer joy. If for no perfectly good reason that not only am I alive, together with the fact I am, despite all the odds a recovering alcoholic, one day at a time.

For some reason, at the same time I always think of the line, heard somewhere that I don't recollect, 'the body cries the tears the eyes refuse to weep.'

Which is a perfect reminder to me,that for me to cry is a perfectly sensible and healthy way of expressing, in recovery my feelings.

For to do otherwise and allow the body to cry the tears the eyes refuse to weep, is a certain indicator that I am, if not already at risk of drinking again...and as we all know, for me, as for many others, to drink is to die.

Whereas, to openly and unashamedly weep, is to not only rejoice, but breathes life and meaning into my very existence in a very real, personal and life affirming way.

Which is what a healthy recovery is all about...
Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was raised/taught that crying was a weakness or even POISON. I was taught that my tears/negativity poisoned those around me and it has taken a long time to learn that tears can and do bring HEALING. I think it is so important to remember that feeling our feelings is something we can give ourselves permission to do.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A very constructive observation...

Thank you for that very constructive observation...