Straight talk.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Straight talk.

Others describe me as having an engaging, friendly at times mischievous manner,.

As a friend, I'm warm loyal and affectionate.

As a person, I'm accomplished and intelligent and have the life experience and qualifications and experience to prove it.

I also suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism, something I was born with and therefore it can reasonably be presumed was provided at the time of my conception.

Although to be an alcoholic, it doesn't really matter whether or not you were born with it or drank yourself into it, as we all know, alcohol is a very addictive drug.

All it needs to pursue its destructive, insidious path in any human being is for it to be consumed often enough and in sufficient quantities to bankrupt anyone physically, mentally and spiritually to lead to insanity or death. Most alcoholics who are still drinking hoping that the latter comes first!

In recovery and what is now a prolonged sobriety, 2376 days and more importantly to get into recovery, I was and still am. A firm believer in the contents of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' , particularly the chapter titled, 'The Doctors Opinion' and chapter 3, 'More About Alcoholism' which perfectly describes me and my drinking, and chapter 5,'How It Works' which provides me with the solution to me problem, with the proviso that I fully understand what the first 100 or so men and women who got sober and contributed to the content of the book were trying to tell me and others in my position.

Failure to grasp this or to follow what they offer in an uncompromising manner is, from my own and what I've seen in others, doomed to failure. With he resultant outcome...

I continue to believe in all these aforementioned things and try to make spiritual progress by pursuing simple Christian beliefs, in prayer and meditation, together with widening the scope of this by reading what others have to say on the same or similar subjects. An example perhaps being, that following the Dalai Lama's lead I believe it's no bad thing to put the essence of Buddhism in anyone's life. Of course others are free to choose whatever they feel suits them, I take no issue with that.

In recovery then, the result of all this is that I believe in the general overall structure of the suggested 12 Step programme of recovery as a basis for an even stronger belief in the God of my understanding. To the point that it makes me no longer beholden to alcohol, as 'cunning, powerful and baffling' as it is nor anyone else.

The only ultimate authority over me to whom, in my actions and behaviour I am responsible to, on a daily basis, is the God of my understanding.

Which, with straight talk, is what recovery means to me ...