Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Is this the longest that you have ever been sober ??

Old 08-16-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

In not much time, back to the insanity

Why ?
Forgot to be grateful for my sobriety for without it nothing seems to stay good for long.

Mountainman
Old 08-16-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Each day is a record for me. I believe the trick is realizing there is no trick. There is not one thing that keeps me sober it is a whole series of small things. Gratitude is just one of those things for me. I looked for the big enchilada a long time but today i believe that all of the small things put together made me a different person
Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Jtf7 View Post
Question for the people who had long stints of sobriety only to start drinking again, and then stop again for a long stint. When you returned to drinking, did you go overboard or were you a moderate/average drinker?

Also, why go back to drinking when you were sober for so long?
When I returned to drinking I almost immediately returned to drinking as if I had never quit. I guess I went back to drinking because I had not done anything to treat my alcoholism for years besides staying dry. IMO I relapsed long before I picked up a drink. Over time my life had gradually become miserable again, it just took a crisis in my life to push me over the tipping point that led to a drink.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Do your best

I haven't experienced relapse in my sobriety I am 13 months this is my first shot at long term sobriety

It took 3 months of trying 1 day here 2 days 3 days 5 days 7 days 18 days that was the highest I got to in them 3 months of trying to stay sober and now I have got sober you couldn't give me a billion pound to drink and I'm working at this to make sure it stays like that

Out to all my fellow alcoholics
Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Amazing , inspiring posts
Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

4 years and 1 month, the longest period of time I have ever been sober! Rootin for everyone.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Jessica

This is the longest that I have been sober since the age of 9.That looks so bad in writing.I have been clean for alittle over 3 months..on June 12th,2014..Im in an IOP program and that has helped alot..gaining tools i can use to remain sober and coping skills..Which I had no knowledge if before..the odds were if it would get me high id do it..I wouldnt do drugs like meth..but tried just about everything else..and when I git ti a stopping point in my addiction back in March, I opened my eyes to a bunch if things and realized how stupid I was in my addiction.I git to the point where id shoot up, only gellies though..After finding my Dad dead when i was 22, I said id never get on the needle...I was wrong..I didnt realize how strong addiction was, even though Ive been around it my whole life..I just try to take things one day at a time..Just for today.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

definitely

today sets a new record of sober days for me -- 2,954.

Forever grateful.

Bob
Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

This is the longest I have been sober by choice (29 days). I say by choice because I quit drinking when I was pregnant but that was for my child. This is for me.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

This is the longest for me. I had many failed attempts at everything except AA, then 1st attempt at AA (half measures) got me three weeks, second attempt 35 years and counting.

The key? Based on experience it has been an aspiration expressed by Ebby to Bill around page 14.

"My friend had emphasized the absolute necessity of demonstrating these principles in all my affairs. Particularly was it imperative to work with others as he had worked with me. Faith without works was dead, he said. And how appallingly true for the alcoholic! For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge hispiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead. If he did not work, he would surely drink again, and if he drank, he would surely die. Then faith would be dead indeed. With us it is just like that."

I have survived all low spots so far without thought of drinking, yet I have seen many fall when something bad happens. Actively following Ebby's suggestion to Bill seems to be the one thing I was doing that those that fell were not. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Interesting question. I started drinking early in my life as my family did so and the cultural environment I grew up in embraced doing so. My family, with few exception, are still heavy drinkers. Then I was almost sober a decade, but feel back into the trap for about four years. Now? I'm over two weeks into sobriety for good. I have not intention of allowing that rotten stuff back into my life. The an old song from the war entitled, and with a chores, that went "We Did it Before (and We Can Do It Again)". Replace the "we" with an "I" and that might make the basis for a new song.

As to a "secret", I don't know that I have one other than resolve and the painful knowledge of what slipping again will cause. That and how I see alcohol, and abstention from it, differently now. I no longer see it as the fun, relaxing, and silly joy I was "depriving" myself of, but rather what it really is: something that was destroying my health, making me a worse person in nearly every respect, worrying my spouse, was leading me to an early grave, and draining finances that better used elsewhere (anywhere, really).

So, no more.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 26 months which is my longest.
Had plenty of half hearted attempts in the past and given up for months at a time or binging between dry periods.
My first and current problem with addiction is nicotine.
I was messed right up on amphetamine addiction in my late teens and didn't even realise, Evan after a breakdown!
So spent most of my adult life addicted and feel amazing now I don't drink alcohol and I can see it for the dangerous poison it is!
After spending 12 years getting high to escape emotional pain and not realised how much harm I was really doing myself.
I ultimately only have myself to judge me and I can be a harsh critic, being sober has given me a chance to change my dysfunctional behaviour.
Great thread

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 12-12-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I spent too many years as a chronic relapse case. I subscribe to two primary ideas that keep me sober...

1) Drinking was indeed indicative of a much deeper set of issues, and my successful abstinence is directly proportional to my mental, emotional, and spiritual health.

2) I really only have today sober. Counting days isn't for me. Constant vigilence over how I interact with the world around me yields more success than noting my "sober time," because I'm always only a single step from stupid. My longest stretches of sobriety were probably in those early, sleepless days before I readjusted to sleep instead of just being unconscious.

I don't typically look back on how much I've got, particularly as I approach a year. Rehashing moments passed distracts me from RIGHT NOW and where I'm going. Looking forward, knowing I'm headed toward something is far less likely to let me become complacent.

Sent from my LG Transpyre VS810PP using Sober Recovery
Old 12-14-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead.
Seems to be one of the keys for those who stay sober.
M-Bob
Old 12-14-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yes, every day is a record for me.

I think the major turning point in going forward in sobriety was realizing how hard it was to battle cravings in early sobriety. Having a drink and getting sober again was exhausting. I could see how easy it would be for me to pick up and never come back and it scared me.

As hard as it was getting sober, realizing that I never had to go through early sobriety ever again or those horrible early cravings if I don't pick up has been key for me.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

2015 was the year things changed dramatically for me, i stopped counting days and months and stopped obessing about being in perpetual recovery!
For me recovery ended and just managing life naturally and seemlessly took over.
I dont pray anymore or co-depend on others or meetings, life changed when i addressed the reason why i needed to pour copious amounts of alcohol down my neck.
Now life is basically content and i feel happy in my own skin, i have no reason to run away from it or obliterate conciousness out of a bottle..
Counting sobre days, the just for today thing - great in early days to counteract craving, but alcohol is merely a symptom - nothing will happen until the emotional imbalances are corrected and for me that meant finding the origin of my issues, deeply buried back in childhood..