Learn to be still ...

Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Learn to be still ...

I once listened to a talk given by Jack Brennan, in which he suggested that alcoholics, especially those in recovery should, when confusion reigned. Rater than pursuing their normal habit of rushing around trying to fix everything at once, learn to be still and the answer would come ...

I've also been taken by the refrain from ,'The Eagles' song of the same name which goes,

'They're like sheep without a shepherd,

Don't know how to be alone,

Spend all their time running round,

Chasing the wrong gods home,

Learn to be still.'

At the start of this year I resolved to try to live a calmer more peaceful life with a view to it hopefully leading to a more fruitful existence.

I also intuitively felt, despite my prolonged period of sobriety, extending back as far as Feb.,2008 that change in my life was not only coming but MUST come...a sense of being that remains with me even to this day...

It appeared to get off to a poor start as the result of my being laid low, although thankfully not hospitalised with an attack on my immune system caused, as I eventually found out by an allergic reaction to as 'flu jab administered in January, and even with the eventual right diagnosis and medication lasted well into early mid-year...

Whilst, living on my own, I was despite my mental and physical abilities running at a state most would consider as lees than normal. At the same time it provided a distinct lesson in learning to be still. Even to the point, where me, a lifetime voracious reader, never even picked up never mind opened a book!

Obviously, near two months on, my health's returned and I'm feeling more my usual self. Retaining both the ability to be still and the intuitive feeling that change not only is coming but MUST come in a feeling that's grown stronger and more credible in myself since the beginning of the year...

I'd dismiss these intuitive as odd, if it weren't for the fact that in 1996, at the request of my then current employers I was formally assessed by a Consultant Psychologist as having innate high intelligence accompanied by the same high degree of sensitivity and emotional intelligence. Which was news to me as I thought I was like most alcoholics described in the Big Book as 'friendly, able and intelligent people.' Perhaps that's the same ? Sounds about right to me anyway...

Then a couple of days ago I remembered the signature on some one's avatar on here, ...'Isaiah 30:18 - Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore He will rise up to show you compassion....'

In doing so, I realised, even in sobriety, even including my daily prayers and meditation I had not fully handed my will and life over to the God of my understanding and fully learned to be still ... to simply exist and be myself in a world in which I was meant not just to exist, but live in a manner that would, if I learned to be still bring me those things I wish for you...

Peace, health and happiness together with prosperity according to your needs ...
Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

... to simply exist and be myself in a world in which I was meant not just to exist, but live in a manner that would, if I learned to be still bring me those things I wish for you...
ZEN... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The essence of Buddhism ...

Thanks for your response, I would add that in an effort to make spiritual progress, I have looked at Buddhist philosophy/psychology, same thing really. As the Dalai Lama says,'Buddhism is not a religion. It is the science of the mind.'

So I live my life with simple Christian beliefs, including that in the God of my understanding. Enhanced by fundamental Buddhist principles.

I also take on board the Dalai Lama's suggestion in his 'The Little Book of Buddhist Wisdom' that it's a good idea, no matter what religion, faith, beliefs etc. to put, and this I really like, 'the essence of Buddhism in your life.'
Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

So I live my life with simple Christian beliefs, including that in the God of my understanding. Enhanced by fundamental Buddhist principles.
"Holy indifference means that we come to a place where our interior attitude is one of complete openness. We are willing to do whatever God wills. There are no boxes marked “private,” instead we have released any agendas and our inclinations to manipulate the outcome to suit our hopes. In our interior being the first priority is to know that we are where God wants us to be. Karl Rahner contends, “This distance from things is a goal that must always be re-won again and again.”

The concept of holy indifference involves “naming and laying aside anything that will deter the person or group from focusing on God’s will as the ultimate value.” When we reach this state of interior freedom we care about the outcome in a way that leaves everything wide open for God to act. There is a confidence that settles in because you have a deep sense that his sovereignty is being honored in a way that insures the outcome.

Holy indifference is always a journey. It is central to our spiritual formation when we find ourselves in the decision-making process. As we move through the season of discernment we will bump up against hopes and assumptions that must be released to move back to the place of freedom. Often, we will find ourselves saying “yes, but…” as we try to fully release that which holds us hostage. The process of decision-making is often God’s way of exposing the assumptions we hold… ones that are not in line with his purposes. We discover that, even though we sincerely want God’s will, we have exceptions that remain hidden in our soul.

Ignatius believed that following God meant rigorously tracking down those assumptions and returning to the place of freedom. The only way to get there is to set your sights on holy indifference and the choice to release any and all objections."

Holy Indifference And Decision-Making | SoulFormation