Past lives ...

Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Past lives ...

As I write this thread, the though is firmly in my mind,'once n alcoholic, always an alcoholic.' Not least for me as I am one of those described in Chapter 3 , 'More About Alcoholism' of the book ,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed. let there be no doubt about that. Although given the way my life evolved in my drinking days, there's possibly a suggestion that I could also be referred to as a 'functioning alcoholic' but nevertheless, an alcoholic!

Who during this time, at least one where alcohol was yet to tighten its grip on me, when I was as Shakespeare suggested, 'green, and in my salad days' ... I successfully progressed through four professional careers, in the service of my country, the community and ironically enough, those who serve the community...

This so includes two marriages, the last one ending 23 years ago and playing an active role in raising three children until they were old enough, in their early twenties to pursue their own lives and careers. I'm lucky that one, now 33 yrs old, still talks to me, and I get to see my grandson, born in my sobriety.

It's also true to say that in the 90's, I twice lost everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING!!! All those things that make up our everyday lives and existences, other than my alcoholism, my , ahem, limited ability and my son...

Whilst I wouldn't saw away one iota from suggesting that m alcoholism didn't play a part in these traumatic, disastrous events. There's little doubt in anyone's mind that much of their origins was brought about by the selfish and irresponsible actions and behaviour of others...

The Sobriety Calendar tells me today, as I write, I've been 2364 days sober, roughly 6 years and 6 months.

Which, that alone leads me to the belief that I'm now in a good position, remembering my opening words to this thread, to regard all these events and what they entailed as ,'past lives'... during which I experienced a few ,' growing pains' or 'teething problems'...and I'm now, in my prolonged period of sobriety, exactly where the God of my understanding wanted me to be with both my will and my life firmly in his hands. Leading the life he envisaged for me all along.

As Bill Cosby said,'The past is a ghost, the future a dream. All we really have is now.'
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post!! 6 and a half years is fantastic!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on your 6 years and 6 months!