MBRP and learning to live differently

Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waking down

MBRP and learning to live differently

MBRP stands for Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention. I've read it is a formal group approach, but I started reading about meditation and mindfulness immediately after getting sober (six months ago).

I posted this under What is Recovery? because I've come to believe recovery is about learning a different way to live, different ways to process or cope with physical and emotional pain, and different ways of perceiving our experience. This is consistent with MBRP.

I've read a few books about mindfulness and addiction, and just learned about Hardwiring Happiness by Rick Hanson. Anyone read it?

I'm interested in a discussion about mindfulness, and more generally, about learning to live differently.

For starters, what do you think about the idea of "hardwiring" your brain to function differently in the world? To have more gratitude? To be more positive? Is anybody out there working to do just that? I am. Wanna share?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use that gratefulness website too! I see in your signature.

I use mindfulness. I didn't do group therapy for it, but have learned it from books and videos.

And I set tasks for myself. Think of things I am grateful for. Make sure every day I find something I can laugh about in the good way. When I feel overwhelmed say "what is going on here"

and when I do simple tasks, smell, taste, feel the texture, listen to the sound.

I think I drank and ate to feel something intense, so if I practice how to experience things deeply without stimulants I don't need those things.

Here is an exercise I learned. Whatever I am doing, tune in to one part of the body. Say, my left foot. And say "hmm, how is this foot feeling?" and then let it answer. SOmetimes it's so shocking.

or really really listen to my own words for a minute while I am talking to someone. Or really really listen to them and not answer for a few seconds at least.

Eckhart tolle does that in his videos, he don't rattle off answers fast. he stops to think, and to let thoughts settle.

I don't do that often. When I watch his video, then I remember and try it for a few days. Till I forget again.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to be an incredibly grateful and bubbly person. I'm not a big complainer now--but since I've been on my medicine, my imagination finds it very hard to quantify gratitude. I really have to rack my brain for things I'm grateful for, even though I'm richly blessed. Part of what the meds are supposed to do is curb my unhealthy emotional imagination--which they do well; however, they also curb my healthy and positive emotional imagination, too.

To begin with, I will post at least one thing in one of the gratitude threads every day.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Zero,

Interesting post. I'm also very interested in a mindful way or living and have been for a long time; awareness and self-awareness are states of mind that tend to come naturally to me and I'd learned this about myself very young. Those strategies described under MBRP are also ~the main methods I've been using in the past over 5 months to stay sober, and also during previous phases of my life when I was struggling with difficult experiences. In the beginning, when I first read about Rational Recovery and AVRT, I got confused and I thought AVRT was what I was doing... but with more info and experience, it's actually far from what AVRT teaches people to do.

As for how these things work, it's a quite fascinating very timely and dynamic focus of current scientific research, although most of these studies tend to show that the long term effects of mindfulness-based strategies (meditation is especially being studied since it's relatively easy to control) vary a lot, depending on the individual. In other words, some people seem to be more receptive and responsive to these approaches than others. I believe that that some of the underlying mechanisms causing these differences between humans are related to our genetic makeup, at least in part. But the experience-induced changes cannot be, or very unlikely to be found in our DNA sequence, much more likely in epigenetic mechanisms and how those interact with our individual genetic makeup. As you know, a lot of my work in focused on such phenomena in the context of addiction. Maybe these are interesting for you:

Study reveals gene expression changes with meditation

Dharma & Epigenetics: Can Mindfulness Medically Ease Our Loneliness? – Buddhist Peace Fellowship / Turning Wheel Media

I've definitely had good results with cognitive strategies and experience-induced positive changes; many of these have led to long term constructive improvements in my life. The flip some, of course, is that I also tend to be very environmentally sensitive when it comes to negative influences. I think I'm actually so interested in these things because in a very subjective way I sense that they work, at least they work for me.
So my personal experience has tended to be very positive!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

Archelon, thanks for the reply. You stated, "I use that gratefulness website too! I see in your signature." I found the quote, but didn't know there was a website. I'll have to check it out. It is interesting how remembering to be mindful during relatively mundane experiences can help bring an enhanced sense of perception or clarity.

Gilmer, thanks for that. Though I'm not on medication and can't fully understand your perspective, I can say that not long ago I had to dig to find things about which to be grateful. I'm working on making it a habit, especially when I start to feel grumpy or testy. Not long ago I was posting ad nauseum about the hell that was my life, but in retrospect I've been pretty lucky. I've stuck with that quote as my signature to remind me to be grateful about little things, like this moment now just "talking" with people about life.

Haennie, good to hear from you. I thought of you when I asked about Rick Hanson. He has some stellar endorsements, so I think I'll order the book I mentioned. I'll have to read those links and get back to you. Epigenetics, in particular, is interesting and somewhat creepy. "Are we not men? We are DEVO!"
Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Haennie, good to hear from you. I thought of you when I asked about Rick Hanson. He has some stellar endorsements, so I think I'll order the book I mentioned. I'll have to read those links and get back to you. Epigenetics, in particular, is interesting and somewhat creepy. "Are we not men? We are DEVO!"
Sorry I forgot to write about Rick Hanson. I have not read the particular book you are referring to, by I have read two others by him: 'Buddha's brain' and 'Mother nurture'. They were worth my time. The guy indeed has a stellar record in his field. Let me know how you like the book if you will read it!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

zerothehero - fabulous topic. Last year I took a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course which I believe originated with Jon Kabat-Zinn (University of Massachusetts, Amherst - Center for Mindfulness). It was a wonderful guided group experience.I found the course to be quite successful in focusing and tapping into my intuitive, innate healing capacity. My experience in life has been that there are many strong messages floating around that strive to muddle and cover up that which I know and feel strongly about my mind and body.

What I found to be extremely useful is learning to approach life and thoughts without judgement. Learning to acknowledge, breathe and let go of uncomfortable, unwanted or intrusive thoughts and feelings. Let go of perseveration and be present in each moment. Mindfulness without judgement in everyday life has been liberating - the little and big experiences alike. For example, helps prevent road rage or bad driver anxiety and frustration while driving the car from point A to B . Or while standing in a long grocery line with a bunch of tired, cranky folks. Practicing mindfulness without judgement throughout my day on the little things adds up to a much more preset me. However, to be honest, last year after my mindfulness classes I used to head straight to the liquor store. I'm a work in progress now.

There have been more benefits than I can write since introducing the mindfulness course in my life. One more great thing was the discovery of the buckwheat zafu. Hugging the zafu to my chest and stretching feels amazing on the pelvis, back, spine, neck - also like giving and receiving a nice hug.

A decade ago I took a course based on the book Forgive for Good taught by the author, Dr Fred Luskin, and found this to offer many other useful and inherently mindful focusing tools. During that time in my life I was surrounded by many intense, highly stressed people who seemed to be holding onto quite a bit of frustration and anger. The course helped me understand and simplify the very complex life experiences.

I will definitely check out the book recommendations made in this thread already. Thanks very much. Have you started your book, Hardwiring Happiness yet? What do you think? I just love learning new ways to approach the human experience Great topic for recovery! Please keep updating.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

Thnx LTV. I'm on the road but will reply later. Ordered book. Should be in the mail.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

May get a zafu pillow. I've found with my injuries I am most comfortable in an armless upright campchair I have, but best with a pillow. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
waking down

I checked out Luskin's website. I've found forgiveness essential for my recovery, as well. It's kind of sad that it seems all these self help publications focus on ancient wisdom that most of us were likely taught in our youth but somehow rejected or forgot. Drug culture, the media, youth culture...just seems to work against embracing the obvious.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

The literature I find most interesting along these lines focus on the science supporting the wisdom.