Why my spirituality is so precious ....

Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FT View Post
would that be a hemorrhage or just a little cut?
How did you enter that person's body ?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I gotta admit I have no great idea if we're off topic or not...
but lets cool it with the pot shots people.

D
Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Although I o believe true altruism philisophically is very rare.
Hey

Check this out... Anonymous stranger gives Ottawa woman, Stephanie Headley, $128,000 for life-saving treatment

Old 07-18-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My point exactly. Are you to claim the guy giving the check is not getting anything? I would argue he is getting the benefit of feeling good and a boost to his own ego. All charity works this way. I myself give lots of money to charity and I benefit because I feel like I am giving back and I also get a tax write off too.

True altruism I am not sure exists where you do something and get and expect nothing in return. Again, this is more philosophical and I am not trying to diminish the good deeds that others like this man in the article are doing. However, my point is that there are almost always (prove me wrong) motives behind goodness.

This is elaborated here: Anthony de Mello - Awareness pt. 8a masquerade of charity - YouTube
Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

True altruism I am not sure exists where you do something and get and expect nothing in return.
I think the only reason that true altruism might not be possible, is because, as far as I can see, it is impossible to do anything without getting something in return, good or bad. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction and all that
Old 07-18-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I tend to agree, although I am not sure and open to being convinced otherwise. I think there is also conscious and unconscious actions. The link I provided speaks directly to this topic. Again, it goes deep into what is self and can you act without some self interest.

Even the mother and her child. She is caring for her child. Not her neighbors. A solider jumping on a hand grenade to save others is saving his comrades. So then there is an act of self interest. The solider may do this for the greater good with the belief he will go to heaven. This is what terrorists think before committing atrocities. They believe they are doing what is righteous and altruistic even though we may not.

Anyhow, interesting debate - thanks for letting me be a part.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The link I provided speaks directly to this topic.
I do have the book actually, and was enjoying it (I got about 2/3 though) and then put it down and never returned. This reminded me to make a revisit so thank you.

Anyhow, interesting debate - thanks for letting me be a part.
Same
Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by FusterCluck View Post
I think the only reason that true altruism might not be possible, is because, as far as I can see, it is impossible to do anything without getting something in return, good or bad. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction and all that
“He who would be serene and pure needs but one thing, detachment.”

"Detachment is the highest of all principles. The noblest of all virtues and the only purely unselfish reason for doing anything."

(Meister Eckhart)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The more one needs to define their own beliefs through others, the more insecure they are in those beliefs. My truth in spirituality is not defined at all by the acceptance by any of you.
Rings my bell JD. I have a deep and personal relationship with my spiritual beliefs. I do not require that relationship to be validated by anyone else. Is it awesome to find someone who shares a similar sort of belief system and that I find resonance with? Yessirree..as then I am blessed with connection.

Am I interested in sharing my beliefs with others? Yes..if they are interested. Do I feel I need to convert anyone to those beliefs? Nope. I honour the rights of others to follow their own light. I might not hang with them...but its' their right. And yes, I will speak up if I think there views are overly judgemental and denigrating to others. But that is only my opinion..which I have a right to..as they do to theirs.