She might be reading this?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

She might be reading this?

The sobriety calendar tells me I'm now 2302 days sober. Reflecting on that and the prolonged period of sobriety involved I wondered, in real terms, not forgetting the spiritual side, which still plays an important part in my life today and always will do. What sobriety has brought me, although I suppose you could say the list is endless ....

First of all,the gift of sobriety has brought me freedom! Without going over the top, freedom to be me, exactly the person I'm supposed to be without the delusional self destructive effects of alcohol!

Secondly, the opportunity top live in a safe, secure environment, remembering that when I first arrived at my present address in 2007, 9 months before I got sober, this was my fifth address in the previous seven years. Sound familiar?

Thirdly, financial security and stability if the definition of affluence, is having everything you want and not what you need. Then I'm affluent, with a financial future that's guaranteed to grow and improve as the years pass, albeit I'm now 67, so best not to get to excited about this...

These three things, when I remember how I was, before the sobriety calendar had even started counting, taken individually, but I think better together, are in real terms, nothing short of a miracle! The only effort on my part being to take it one day at a time and try to make spiritual progress, I claim no more credit than that. Anything outside those parameters is in the hands of the god of my understanding...

So now I wonder, hey! I'm an 'alkie' what do you expect? If the statement that you're never given a wish, without the opportunity for it to come true....see, 'Messiah's Handbook - Reminders for the Advanced Soul' by Richard Bach. If those gifts that I've already outlined and have been provided, to not only add to, but enhance. If I wished, at least for the potential friendship of a member of the opposite sex, to not only share but build on our sobriety and the gifts it's brought us together with those others we might share together...simply in being the individuals we are, with our own talents, abilities and experience...Would the opportunity arise for that wish to come true,become reality, like all the preceding ones?

'Never say never' right! Who knows,that mystical, magical lady might be reading this right now?