confidence to complacency?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confidence to complacency?

I have been around alcohol every day since I've quit and my thoughts have only turned to drinking once or twice. I feel as though that is a good sign, and I've been informing more and more of my friends that I quit drinking and that they should offer me it anymore. I'm a little worried that feeling this good so early on (one week) will lead to complacency and eventually I'll let my guard down too much, though. Thoughts about this?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by theupsides92 View Post
I have been around alcohol every day since I've quit and my thoughts have only turned to drinking once or twice. I feel as though that is a good sign...
Some call a Pink Cloud
Some call it a period of grace
I call it being recovered

It's been a long time since I thought about drinking. It's been a long time since I thought about not-drinking. It's been a long time since I had to choose between the two.

IMNSHO it can last a lifetime, provided we practice a daily program of action. It is the action that I take each day that keeps thoughts of drinking out of my head - not calendar-days spent not drinking.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feeling good won't lead to complacency. It's all about the ups and downs and how you handle them. Personally, I've not gotten complacent yet because life keeps happening It's in constant flux. That's why it's interesting.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

If alcohol was your problem, then there is no reason these happy circumstances should not continue.

If alcoholism is your problem, then a daily program of action can keep you in this recovered state. Like an earlier poster, the program of action has meant I haven't had to make any choices about alcohol for a long time. The problem has stayed away.