"Secret" recovery

Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Secret" recovery

Posted this in the newcomers section but realised afterwards that debate over recovery techniques were not allowed in there!

Hi all. I am 6 weeks and 2 days sober today. I have been aware that I have a drinking problem for over a decade (I am in my 30's now) but would find many reasons to put off dealing with the issue. I am married now and have a family. I finally decided to stop drinking altogether when I had too much to drink (again) and had to be carried/dragged to bed, I fell a few times, breaking things and was verbally abusive to my wife. Understandably she was furious and very upset with me. I resolved to stop drinking then and have done so so far. She likes drinking and would prefer it if I could have some and then stop, but I have explained that this is not possible and me having "a beer" is as good as me having 10 beers and a bottle of vodka, as that is where it will end up, so she understands this and supports me. I have told family and friends that I am giving up drinking, but I haven't "come out" as an alcoholic and have am not really keen on revealing the extent of my problems beyond my wife. Will this be a problem in quest for a drink free life? I have done a bit of reading of forums like this, the AA book and other sober living literature and being honest with everyone seems to be a pretty consistent theme I don't want to "come out" but I would rather that than go back to drinking.

I hope this makes sense!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

The Newcomers forum rule is about not denigrating particular recovery methods.
You thread was, and is, fine.

You'll get more response in Newcomers forum so I'll shut this one down.

For interested parties the other link is:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

D