How recovery happens

Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How recovery happens

Rates and predictors of relapse after natural and treated remission from alcohol use disorders

Basically people who seek formal help (AA or other self-help support groups), see their drinking as a problem, have a higher education, have fewer lifetime issues from drinking (e.g., DUI, health problems), did not tend to use alcohol as a method of tension reduction, and had greater 'self-efficacy,' are more likely to stay sober after 16 years.

I would say I have at least one risk factor for later relapse - I used alcohol for tension reduction. Everything else I seem to have going in my favor.

-DrS
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is awesome to see a study going out 16 years. There is so little that is really known about the science of recovery beyond just a few years. Thanks for posting this.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think the big aspect in your post is the idea of 'self efficacy'. This is a perceived ability to complete a task and reach goals, and is similar to 'locus of control'. Is it within your ability to change yourself? Do you make your own breaks? Are you powerless or empowered?

The study you quoted indicates that you have a better chance of permanent sobriety if you feel empowered to do so, if you believe that you can succeed . This only makes sense to me. And to Jedi masters too- Do or do not, there is no try.

Believe in yourself and your ability to get and stay sober for good. You can do it!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DocSobrietist View Post
Basically people who seek formal help (AA or other self-help support groups), see their drinking as a problem, have a higher education, have fewer lifetime issues from drinking (e.g., DUI, health problems), did not tend to use alcohol as a method of tension reduction, and had greater 'self-efficacy,' are more likely to stay sober after 16 years.
Basically people who "have fewer lifetime issues from drinking" are not alcoholic in the first place!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I respectfully disagree, Boleo. My husband never had legal issues, never, had any interference with his job, and never had any alcohol health related issues, but he was DEFINITELY an alcoholic.

Thanks for posting the study-
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LvWrAM123 View Post
I respectfully disagree, Boleo. My husband never had legal issues, never, had any interference with his job, and never had any alcohol health related issues, but he was DEFINITELY an alcoholic.

Thanks for posting the study-
Yeah, I'm with you. We as so-called addicts/alcoholics all had points in our drinking/using careers where we didn't have those consequences. That doesn't mean our use wasn't a problem for us, or was addictive in character. We all had a point where it seemed "fun," or at least harmless. Nothing magical happens when a DUI or a job loss or a health issue occurs - it's just reality catching up with us. We were an "addict" or "alcoholic" before the consequence hits, and continue to be one afterwards - it's just more undeniable at that point.

-DrS
Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Basically people who "have fewer lifetime issues from drinking" are not alcoholic in the first place!
Oh brother. This in an absurd and irrational statement even from you Boleo (and you've made more than your share of absurd statements).

What constitutes "fewer lifetime issues from drinking"? One DUI is less than two DUI's; does that mean the person with one DUI isn't alcoholic? Or perhaps a person must spend time in jail as opposed to probation to be considered a real alcoholic. Or maybe one stint of jail time isn't enough to be considered an alcoholic, perhaps multiple jail sentences are required to be considered a real alcoholic?

Seriously, Boleo, maybe it's time to tone down your psycho-babble interpretation of the 12-Steps and leave the science to actual scientists.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post

What constitutes "fewer lifetime issues from drinking"? One DUI is less than two DUI's; does that mean the person with one DUI isn't alcoholic? Or perhaps a person must spend time in jail as opposed to probation to be considered a real alcoholic. Or maybe one stint of jail time isn't enough to be considered an alcoholic, perhaps multiple jail sentences are required to be considered a real alcoholic?
DUI s and jail time have nothing to do with a diagnosis of alcoholism. I never had a DUI, nor did I serve any jail time. The common ground alcoholics share is about how we drank and how we felt, not what we did. Life time issues could be as basic as dysfunction in the family, and there are certainly different levels of dysfunction, ranging from mild emotional neglect to outright abuse.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets have a reasoned discussion guys on points made, not personal attacks and insults.

Thanks

D
Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks for posting this. Someone with this problem can look really good on paper but inside be completely destroyed.
I consider SR treatment for my disorder. Disorder seems to be a good word for it. I never used alcohol for anything specific but felt compelled to keep drinking. It made no rational sense.

However, compared to untreated individuals with active alcohol use disorders, untreated remitted individuals are older and more likely to be women, married and employed and have a later onset of alcohol problems

Later onset explains why some of us developed this problem way past the age we should know better. I think this is the same study that said 1/3 of people with this disorder have underlying psychological issues and that increases the chance of relapse. Yeah 2/3 of us don't have underlying psychological issues.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sure Dee's comment was directed at me, and deservedly so. I apologize to Boleo and the posters on this thread. I let my emotions get the best of me. However, I stand by the point I was attempting to make, which is: a person may have "fewer (even very few) lifetime issues from drinking", but still be an alcoholic. Moreover, who are we to decide if a person is an alcoholic or not? I believe "grading" anyone's drinking problem to be mostly counterproductive.

Again, I apologize for my rude post; I should know better than to let my irritable side get the best of me