My first Saturday sober

Old 07-03-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mik

My first Saturday sober

This is my first Saturday sober, I just woke up and usually I would have done a shot or two of Vodka. I haven't had a drink since last Sunday night. This week was rough with the withdrawl but I think I am finally past the peak. However this morning is extremley hard to not see my "good ole friend" Vodka. I know I can get through this, but it is probably the hardest thing this week. I was wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hey Mik! Welcome to SoberRecovery
My name's Dan. Towards the end of my active addiction, alcohol was my poison of choice, and oh yes baby, the liquid inspiration Queen Vodka was my lover. Morning, noon and night. So you're through the worst of the withdrawal? Kuddos. Real nasty stuff. If you're like me, as you start feeling better, you start thinking that maybe one more dance with your old friend wouldn't be so bad after all. That last time was just an accident. This time I'll get it right. And we're off...
I beat myself up to a pulp trying to tame vodka. But I'm an addict. I can't. I don't want to have mornings where I have to slam down half a mikey just to start my heart again so I can puke up whatever is left in my stomach, to stop the shakes so I can drink myself into another faceless day. I'm done.
So a good tip my friend is to not have that first shot. Uh-huh. No way. If you do, odds are you're at the liquor store later for more.
Have you considered any support programs?
Glad you're here Mik. Sober Saturdays are way cool
Old 07-03-2004, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mik

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your words. I am not going to dance with her today, I am going to attempt in every way to enjoy my first Saturday sober. I am not sure I want to try any support groups yet, I don't know if I can face other people face to face yet without breaking down. Thank you for the internet!!! Last night was also my first Friday night sober and I went to see fireworks. Wow, it was like seeing them for the first time, so I think if I start going with that theory I may be ok, seeing life for the first time in 18 years. Thanks again and I am glad I am here.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by mgwh
I am not sure I want to try any support groups yet, I don't know if I can face other people face to face yet without breaking down.
Cool. As long as you know that most of us have a tough time going it alone. There are lots of recovery programs to choose from. All in good time. A friend of mine here has never been to a face to face meeting and has a solid sobriety. So it can be done.
seeing life for the first time in 18 years.
Great feeling yes? Repeat this new process in 24 hour chunks. Easier to manage that way. And yes, fireworks are way better when you don't have your own set of charges going off in your head
Old 07-03-2004, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kim
Stop this ride I wanna get off

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your words. I am not going to dance with her today, I am going to attempt in every way to enjoy my first Saturday sober. I am not sure I want to try any support groups yet, I don't know if I can face other people face to face yet without breaking down. Thank you for the internet!!! Last night was also my first Friday night sober and I went to see fireworks. Wow, it was like seeing them for the first time, so I think if I start going with that theory I may be ok, seeing life for the first time in 18 years. Thanks again and I am glad I am here.
Hi, I'm Kim, I'm an alcoholic. I went to a concert my first night of sobriety. Big change for me! I actually enjoyed myself...so I know what you mean about seeing the fireworks for the first time . I have 20 days of sobriety now and I'm slowly but surely learning to enjoy life without the benefit of alcohol. A day on the boat used to mean several beers followed by a wine filled evening. Each day gets a little better. If you're not ready for face to face meetings, keep coming here. I know it sure helps me!
Old 07-03-2004, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mik,

This is my first Sat Sober also, and like you and Dan, Vodka was my drink of choice. This is day one for me, so I have no advice nor real wisdom other than Don't Drink

I tried day one yesterday and failed miserably like Dan said it just took that one shot and off to the liquor store I went.

No we are all here to support you, hang tough!

Triegger
Old 07-04-2004, 12:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Mik - I was just like you ten months ago, But, I last drank on a Saturday and paid some heavy consequences for doing so. Luckily, with outpatient treatment, family support and meetings, I have not had a drink since or the urge to drink!!

Admitting to yourself that you have a disease and as mentioned earlier - Do not try to do this alone; it does not work, are good places to begin.

Good luck my friend; unknowingly, you have just joined a fraternity that is caring, empathetic and more than willing to help out another alcoholic/addict.

Take care -

Dave
Old 07-04-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mik

Thank you all! I made it through my first Saturday sober! It felt rewarding. I did have to take it one minute at a time. This morning is just as rough, I guess weekend mornings will always be rough, they were my time alone with my Vodka, without my husband nagging me, just me and me Vodka. I am not surprised that this first one is difficult. I really like coming to this place, I come whenever I get the urge and read the strong words of encouragement and it helps. Thanks again and I am glad I found this fraternity, I am grateful!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

I am grateful!
Being able to feel gratitude is keeping me sober in real tough days right now. Gratitude for sobriety is a gift of the highest order. We keep an attitude of gratitude going in our hearts long enough, the Cubs might take the Series this year
It's good to see you here again Mik.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mik - you are doing great

i'm glad that the cold fever and shakes are behind you.
i have been to several AA meetings and found that they just aren't for me. i am an alcoholic trying to be sober too. today is my sons birthday and i plan to remember this one! :tongue3:
Old 07-05-2004, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mik

Thanks rwwh, you rock too! Today is my seventh day and finally my eyes are back to normal, I actually am starting to look like me again! I wish your son a very happy birthday :bparty3 as I am sure you will make it for him! Remember he is worth the whole thing!

Mik
Old 07-05-2004, 10:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mik!

Congratulations on day 7...
Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

Awesome, so glad your miracle is in progress!! Hang tough! We'll be here!
Old 07-05-2004, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mik,

You are doing great and you are already seeing the benefits, physically and emotionally, of not drinking for a week. It will only get better!

Love, Anna
Old 07-08-2004, 07:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mik

Today is day 11! I do miss my friend Vodka, but I am sticking to my guns. Yesterday I had to take it one minute at a time and today is the same. Thanks again everyone for your support, I am truly grateful.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WTG MG,

Hang in there, and you know the drill one minute/hour/day at a time.

Know I am pulling with and for you,

Triegger
Old 07-17-2004, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Man you really took me back to the memories of my first few sober days. I remember feeling so relieved but also scared as hell and vulnerable, like someone had removed my skin. Six years later I can tell you that you can stay sober even through all the crazy feelings. I did it by going to meetings and hanging' with sober friends.
I am so glad you are here!!!
Dini
Old 07-17-2004, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dan

Mik...
Welcome Back.
No failure. Just a lesson learned.
It's big work to understand the obsession and compulsion that drives us.
Don't give up.