Progress in recovery

Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Progress in recovery

As a member of the recovery community, I've gone through the following stages:

1. Frightened/Frustrated
2. Depressed/Rebellious
3. Determined/Optimistic

That's all well and good. Now I think "Enjoyment/Fun" would be a great next step!

I was broke and living off public assistance when I started posting here. Over the past 1.5 years I've attained some good things. I got a job that looks like it will now be a career in the field I wanted. I have paid off most of my bills, and started a repayment process for old loans to get them in good standing. That has been incredibly hard work, and taken up a great deal of my time.

Despite how GREAT that is, I can't say it's exactly been "fun". "Gee, paying off that loan was sure fun" or "I paid my $400 delinquent electric bill last night! That was fun!" Nobody says that. These type of accomplishments have not come with any fun rewards, either: I've got to keep my lights on and the collection calls have stopped and my credit score has stabilized...nice, but not something that makes you get butterflies in your stomach.

But it needed to be done. This has been the hard part. The part I didn't want to do. The part I wasn't sure I could manage. But my boss has given me promotions, and we are talking about "next year" at work...I'm on solid ground now, and that's a strange feeling.

In a couple of weeks I am taking some time off work to travel cross-country and look for a home in a new city. I still have my place here in Chicago - this is just an exploratory scouting mission. But I am secure enough to make this a reality. I know what I want in my surroundings, and I have the power to make that happen. I am interested in finally getting to a place where I can put down some roots and grow as a person and member of the community. I want to emotionally invest in something bigger that just myself. And maybe find someone to share that investment with.

It's been a hard, long trek to even get to this point. The crazy thing is, I haven't even been sober for 2 years yet! It's felt like a long time, but in reality it's just the beginning....
Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, you've taken care of business and accomplished a lot! Congratulations on all of it!

You've dealt with the hard part, freeing yourself from some financial burdens and setting yourself up for the future. The excitement of a scouting mission and the prospect of relocating sounds like it's going to lead to a lot of satisfaction. And fun!

The accomplishments you have listed here are very inspiring to me as I seek to continue on in my sobriety. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey BigS. I'm new here so thanks for this! Congrats on the progress.

It really helps someone in my shoes know that its possible and we can overcome, correct past mistakes, and proceed.

I know it doesn't seem "fun" but in reality you are living as well as probably 50% of the population. AND YOU ARE SOBER!

Keep in mind in your travels whether its to the grocery store or paying your bills or or across the country you are doing it with clarity and have conquered a huge burden. Extremely proud to see your accomplishment.

Please embrace your success and I hope you find fun and adventure that keeps you motivated.

Perhaps an interesting hobby like photography. I go around Dallas and other cities I visit taking pictures of all the buildings and architecture. Helps me pass the time.

Whatever you do be proud of yourself.

Godspeed
-justinB