SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Integrative Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/325147-integrative-recovery.html)

Gazza 03-07-2014 07:59 PM

Integrative Recovery

Just wondered if anyone else has worked with integrative recovery. I got an e book and a related app. Seems reasonable. The approach seems similiar to one a past therapist taught me. Meditation and life balance in a nutshell.

any one have experience with this program?

thanks
G

freshstart57 03-08-2014 05:55 AM

I certainly used meditation and putting energy into new pursuits and pastimes as part of my new lifestyle. This seems however to be AA with a gym membership. Both or either of these you might find helpful. Make your choice, devote your energy to it, and you will succeed.

Redmayne 03-08-2014 08:59 AM

Can't say I've ever heard of it?

Can't say I've ever heard of it?

Personally, I've find attempting to make spiritual progress,opened a 'broad highway' in looking at other things, i.e. for me fundamental Buddhist philosophy, which enhanced meditation and prayer...etc. Just one example...

Sobriety brought it's own improvement in physical well being and the need to look after it, exercise, etc...

Am I on the right track?

jdooner 03-08-2014 09:36 AM

I would say meditation, which I practice twice daily for 30 minutes each session has been the greatest tool and change for me in recovery. I have no experience with your said program.

I would caution about diving into any one program. I like to sample and learn about many and take parts that I agree with and leave the rest behind. In short, I see no one size fits all approach, at least for me.

Redmayne 03-08-2014 11:00 PM

'Lie and let live.'

Obviously, in your response , your going some way to acknowledge one of the tenets of A A, to,'live and let live' ....

Gazza 03-10-2014 10:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems to me the program is an effort to balance all the different areas of life that an addiction touches and damages. It takes on board the latest in brain science which is helpful to me personally I like a rational explaination. But then like The BB says For myself I need a spiritual dimension to my life. This approach might be a good balance between RR and AA It might be a good fit for me.

Thanks for the feedback.
G

matt4x4 03-10-2014 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gazza (Post 4514539)
Just wondered if anyone else has worked with integrative recovery. I got an e book and a related app. Seems reasonable. The approach seems similiar to one a past therapist taught me. Meditation and life balance in a nutshell.

any one have experience with this program?

thanks
G

Nope, is this a self help book or an actual program?
Tell me this, when life spirals out of control. Do we put life on pause and start to meditate in a yoga stance?

Just wondering is all.

jdooner 03-10-2014 08:40 PM

Matt4x4 - have you ever thought about how obtuse your comments are, as well as demeaning, condescending and rude?

I for one do meditate when things are spiraling out of control. It provides stability for me. What do you do Matt? Pull your BB out and quote things you lack any understanding of?

Gazza 03-10-2014 09:34 PM

Thanks guys.

Matt: Its a book based on a program but Im just reading the book. Perhaps me using the word program was unwise. My treatment involves my Doctor, my cousellor, my family, this forum and whatever else I find helpful (freedom is a great thing).

I think the idea is that meditating helps still the mind and that the benefits are felt when not sitting in formal meditation but later when things spiral out of control.

You're probably not really wondering but have an opinion already, thats fine we all have them.

have a good day.
G