Recovery is choice today

Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery is choice today

That is what it is boiling down to for me lately, because I've been struggling, but I know I can improve things by doing the footwork and investing in my future. The pain is telling me things need to change, just like it did when I got clean. The changes might be more subtle now, but I have the freedom to do what I need, I am no longer a slave to the drugs, and I even quit smoking recently! A little at a time, I am making things better.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great stuff!

D
Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Brilliant OWW, recognising that we chose to stop doing something destructive rather than feeling we are having to quit makes a big difference to our attitude.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last week at a meeting (my fourth), everybody kept an such an atmosphere of of good humor and "lightness of being", that I couldn't feed anything into my "soap opera". On the way home, I had a sudden thought: "I don't have to drink today. I don't have to drink!"
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like this update!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you,
Onewithwings
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pain is the touchstone to change.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
On the way home, I had a sudden thought: "I don't have to drink today. I don't have to drink!"
Kensho, I had that realization, the same as what you described, the moment I decided to quit drinking for good. It went in stages, my thoughts, starting with, I quit, now what? Then the realization slowly began to sink in. I don't have to drink any more. It is over, thank goodness. I thought I had to drink all the time, but I don't have to drink at all. I can choose to quit, and I can do it too, dagnabbit.

OneWithWings, believing that recovery is choice is the ultimate empowerment for us. It is a belief that will transform you in ways you don't imagine and can't foresee. You are changing your life from within, a triumph of your spirit. Congratulations.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

When I was stuck in a relapse cycle for nearly 3 years, I don't remember it being a choice.

When I finally experienced a Spiritual Awakening, it still did not seem like a choice. There was no temptation to drink. There was no 2 options to choose between. I simply had a new attitude towards liquor that did no include any attraction to it. The obsession was removed root and branch.

That's why I say - Not-drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everything in life is a choice.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
"Life is a great experiment. Each of us is an experiment of one- observer and subject - making choices, living with them, recording the effects." -George Sheehan