# 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's keep it civil guys.

D
Old 03-16-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Redmayne

jdooner.

In don't mind you airing your views in your post. To which your perfectly entitled, as much as others are entitled to respond with constructive comment or criticism.

I do object to your personal abuse in calling me myopic and judgmental, neither of which are constructive along with your telling me how to live my life both in recovery and sobriety...

I do stand by my christian beliefs, believing in the god of my understanding enhanced by fundamental Buddhist philosophy ...

Found in the Four Noble Truths and The Eightfold Noble Path..

On that basis, where you got the idea that I don't think Buddhism helps anyone in recovery. I've no idea, but whilst it suggests you refrain from those things that cause suffering, like sexual promiscuity, alcohol and drugs. I've never actually heard of it helping anyone get into recovery.

That's not to say, that's never happened....

I suppose a carefully worded apology, not to me, but to others using this forum would be out of the question...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Redmayne - I quoted your comments that Buddhism never helped anyone in recovery. Again, you state it here. It is my opinion that this view, your view is: 1) judgmental, 2) myopic, and 3) naive.

You have made up your mind here and generalizing all Buddhists - this is judgmental.

You have a one dimensional view form an opposing religion - myopic.

I believe (my opinion) that this perspective is not based on a wide sampling of evidence = naive.

I am not attacking you personally. When you make a statement that generalizes though own the words.

You are entitled to your opinion and I don't believe you are your opinion. But if your opinion is the World is flat when all evidence suggests otherwise, I am going to suggest that that view is very one dimensional on a very limit perspective, which is precisely what I have done here. This is critical in a recovery forum, as you are making statements as facts but this myopic perspective is just one part of the elephant that we call addiction. You might be right in what the trunk looks like but fail to describe the legs, torso, head belly etc. I am providing a perspective that is broader.

You then call out psychoanalysis as "fairy tales" and a delusion. That is fine - its your opinion. I happen to also disagree with this but I did not call you out on it. I find it funny that you are upset by my comments, lol?

Why don't we agree to disagree though, as I don't think banter back and forth will do anyone any good?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It helped me. If I would have figured it out 2 months ago that would have been great. I was taught early on by a religion that I could not trust myself. Anything that originated anywhere but from them was from Satan. That included my own thoughts. Like Glenda the good witch said "she had to learn it for herself".
The song TinMan was posted on a women's thread. That got me thinking and lead me back to this thread.
Most of my healing has come in the form of music or stories. I especially like to think about each one of us playing the part of Andy Dufresne in our own story.
PS reading Jung right now and loving it.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Just went and watched that OZ clip again. After it ended this creeptastic video came up in the window. I guess I can see how it is related.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Redmayne

JDooner

Of course one of the problems I have with you and those things you expound is that other than your user name, which is fictitious, you don't exist.

You provide no sobriety date or location, and there's nothing entered on your user profile.

The email address you provided when registering with the site is of little value in terms of providing proof or your existence, either.

Evidencing he fact that you've little or no credibility as a person of any status, now given you know little or nothing of those things you expound on and have us all believe are based on any ability to think cognitively (truth and reason).

Lacking evidence of both these qualities, present in most people, drunk or sober, how are we then expected to take notice of. Never mind believe, anything you say...
Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Redmayne - people are only required to share here what they feel comfortable with....that goes with personal details too.

Originally Posted by rule3
Do not post offline personal contact information (ie. your home address, phone numbers, email address etc.) and do not ask for personal information from others
If you can't engage with the argument without the personal details you require, thats fine - there's lots of other threads to post upon.

Similarly if you can't agree with the premise of the thread, it's fine to move on and find other people to help

Alternatively, you and JD can take this to PM.

Please, lets all get back to the topic.

Fair warning, from here on in, off topic or combative posts will be removed.

It's not fair to those people who genuinely want to explore this topic.

Originally Posted by rule 4
No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
It helped me. If I would have figured it out 2 months ago that would have been great. I was taught early on by a religion that I could not trust myself. Anything that originated anywhere but from them was from Satan. That included my own thoughts.
You think the nun in eighth grade writing on the blackboard "if it feels good it must be wrong" had anything to do with my life?

I thought she was giving us a homework assignment, always was an overachiever….

Sorry Dee, just read your off topic post, I didn't mean to go out of bounds, lord knows I spent enough time in detention.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Turn your PM on!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
quat

love that song"..Oz never did give nothing..." lyrically and otherwise. Morale wise it left me lacking, if he didn't ,why didn't the dumbass see it?

Maybe he did giv'em all something, like an objective perspective, maybe good objective analysis psych or not can help. Heck maybe some could it for themselves , without the Wiz, but it probably takes the courage of brutal self honesty. My 2
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When you get down to the basic story of The Wizard of Oz.
It's just 2 women fighting over a pair of shoes.
Happens every day.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

haha Resolute - assume you are joking. Psychoanalysis is not for everyone. However, I find the exercise of critically thinking and using literature and film as a medium to grow beyond the obvious into the abstract helpful to relate to the Real World. Hitchcock was wonderful at using Film as Art.

Catcher in the Rye, Death of a Salesman, even contemporary Media can be used.