Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

What would have helped in recovery when I came to recovery

Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I started my recovery journey in AA for what I thought at the time was a drug addiction. I had no idea what I was doing, who to talk to, or if what I was being told or hearing was the right stuff or even of AA (which I later found out that not everything you hear in an AA meeting is AA).

I couldn’t seem to figure it all out, for every person I met I heard a different story about AA, about sobriety, I got different tips, different opinions -- my sponsor didn't take me through the recovery process the way it was handed down by our founders (of AA), because it wasn't given to him that way.

I bounced in and out of AA, NA and other methods for years before I crossed paths with the people who were able to give me the full program of AA in undiluted form, which solved my drink problem and brought me a way of living I couldn't possibly imagine.

There must be thousands of people going through the same process, who aren't getting exposure to the three legacies (Recovery, Unity, Service) in the precise, clear-cut way they were given to us as a suggested program of recovery from drugs and alcohol. I'd imagine there are thousands suffering in the rooms of AA and other 12 Step programs.

I'd love to hear others experience.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR 12thSuggestion

D
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The longer I stay sober the more I appreciate the gift I have been given.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

(which I later found out that not everything you hear in an AA meeting is AA).

An unfortunate truth. But I am optimistic that things are improving. In my part of the world we seem to be getting back to the basic text, and it is bringing the same great results as in the past to those willing to do the work.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm seeing that as well in some meetings. What's interesting is observing folks who understand the importance of focusing on the text, but are still not entirely sure what the words mean. There's great opportunity for others to serve in those types of meetings, if they can shed light on what's actually being said in the text. It's refreshing to see the beginners mind present itself in AA.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Have you tried posting in the "Alcoholism-12 Step " forum yet?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "tried". I'm not trying to be cute, honestly, I want to make sure I understand your question. Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12thSuggestion View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "tried". I'm not trying to be cute, honestly, I want to make sure I understand your question. Thanks

I think he means have you checked out/posted "tried" on that particular forum?

There are many sub forums here with AWESOME threads and advice.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

12thSuggestion you will find a lot of help and support here on SR. SR is an integral part of my recovery along with AA and Alanon.

I find it funny when I hear that there is a pure form or an un-diluted form of 12 step recovery.

How other people work their program/12steps is none of my business.
How I work my program/12steps is none of anyone else's business.
Believe me, even today, I have had fingers pointed at me, yelled at, cold-shouldered by many big book thumpers, purists, NA nazis, bleeding deacons, AA/NA counselors in that I should only stay true to the literature.

I get a real kick and laugh when a person with a year or two tells me how I should work the steps, especially with his proud sponsor nodding appreciatively beside him

I came in to AA and NA in 1980 and it was just as diluted then as now in 2013.

What hasn't change are the steps and one alcoholic helping another.

I suggest reading the Big Book but I prefer the 12x12/As Bill Sees It as far as understanding and working the steps.

So maybe I'm working the cheap version of recovery.

Every few years there is a run on purism...nothing new...if the Recovery Unity Service mantra is where it's at so be it.

When I first started in NA there was no Basic Text and we were using the AA Big Book and the little white NA pamphlet.

Sooo....was what we were doing wrong or not the right way? There are many of us who have decades clean and sober.

Keep it simple.
Go to a lot of meetings.
Work the steps.
Read all the literature
you can get your hands on.
Be humble.
Take inventory and make amends.
Help the still suffering addict.

Do it however you want...just
don't drink and keep your hands
out of the newcomers' pants.

pretty simple.

Don't take yourself too seriously.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Principles
^*^*^*^*^
"Experience shows that few alcoholics
will long stay away from a group
just because they don't like the way it is run.
Most return and adjust themselves
to whatever conditions they must.

Some go to a different group, or form a new one.
In other words, once an alcoholic fully realizes
that he cannot get well alone,
he will somehow find a way to get well and stay well
in the company of others."
Bill W., Letter, 1943
c.1967AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 312
Old 10-30-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Reply to WISCSOBER

Thanks for your reply, it's nice to see someone with lots of experience sharing how it worked and giving others hope. From my experience, there is a percentage of folks coming in and out and hanging around the rooms that just aren't getting better. And then there are folks who come in and whatever variety of AA, NA or whatever program they come into, they seem to be ripe for recovery -- and I think that's awesome. I've seen people who can recover and stay recovered on the fellowship alone (good for them). I'm not even judging or saying they should keep their mouths shut during meetings b/c they may be sharing the wrong message...in fact, my experience has showed me that meetings are not the place to learn how to work the steps and live the principles in all your affairs -- meetings for me are a place to find new comers to work with and to share (celebrate) the gift that has been given me.

What I have found though, is the folks who aren't getting better, the majority haven't had exposure to the Recovery portion of the program (aka the program of recovery as it is outlined in the basic text) in the way it was given to others when recovery rates were quadruple what they are today. Please don't take me wrong, that's not saying all other varieties are wrong, I agree, it's where God has taken us as a program, as a fellowship. But what it is saying, is that some people will not get better without hearing a the presentation of the program as it was given from the first one hundred (or 72, whatever it was before Bill W inflated a bit for the first printing of the book).

I love your spirit and I'd like to assume a person like you is out on the firing lines saving lives like anyone else who understands the imperatives of living 12 steps. I'm not in any form of disagreement with anyone -- just sharing my experience. Thanks for your great comments.

Last edited by 12thSuggestion; 10-30-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Directed to WISCSOBER's comment
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rAAt View Post
Principles
^*^*^*^*^
"Experience shows that few alcoholics
will long stay away from a group
just because they don't like the way it is run.
Most return and adjust themselves
to whatever conditions they must.

Some go to a different group, or form a new one.
In other words, once an alcoholic fully realizes
that he cannot get well alone,
he will somehow find a way to get well and stay well
in the company of others."
Bill W., Letter, 1943
c.1967AAWS, As Bill Sees It, p. 312
This is spot on for me. I turned away from meetings for a period of time b/c I wasn't hearing what I wanted (self-seeking). In coming full circle and embracing the three legacies, and understanding that each side of that equilateral triangle are all even -- meaning that all three have to be tended to in my life equally (The Steps, The Fellowship, and Working with Others) -- that's when I embraced meetings and realized I wasn't there to learn or take, I was there to give and to find new people to work with. It's changed everything for me regarding the fellowship.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by 12thSuggestion View Post
This is spot on for me. I turned away from meetings for a period of time b/c I wasn't hearing what I wanted (self-seeking). In coming full circle and embracing the three legacies, and understanding that each side of that equilateral triangle are all even -- meaning that all three have to be tended to in my life equally (The Steps, The Fellowship, and Working with Others) -- that's when I embraced meetings and realized I wasn't there to learn or take, I was there to give and to find new people to work with. It's changed everything for me regarding the fellowship.
The essence of a spiritual awakening right there. To go from a taker to a giver is an incredible psychic change.