Liver Pain/twinges

Old 09-30-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Pain/twinges

Hi all, i'm not sure if this thread is in the right section, but I figure if it isn't then someone might advise me. I was just wondering if anyone had twinges under the right ribcage or mild liver pain, sort of just like an 'awareness' where your liver is. If so, what was it and what did it mean for you. Was it cirrhosis, inflamation, or something else??? Im so worried, i don't even want to go to my doctor.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi flujays

the thing is none of us are Doctors - we can guess, we can even share when we had pain there - but the only way for you to know for sure whats going on with you is to see a Dr yourself.

I know it's scary but it's the right thing to do

D
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee74. I've had similar feelings from time to time. Of course, it's a good note to stop drinking, if you haven't already. I have an annual physical where my liver functions are checked via blood tests. They have been good so ar. It's a simple procedure, which I recommend for you, although I'm not a doctor. My GP is aware of my alcohol problem and has been a big help in my fight against drinking.

Today, I have been sober for two weeks. In my view, age is also a factor since we are obviously less resilient (although maybe more wise?) as we grow older. I'm 56.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks guys, i know you are not doctors and i wasnt asking for medical advice, but just wanted to know if anyone had experienced sort of an 'awareness' of feeling around the liver area and what it was for them. Not asking for medical advice, I realise the rules are clear on that. thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

No I know....I wasn't invoking the rule - just saying the only way you'll know for sure is see a professional

D
Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can share with you that I had those feelings.
Almost like my liver felt prominent as an organ in my body.

I used to drink vodka with fizzy mixer like diet coke.
I am convinced that some of that feeling near my liver was due to excess gas from drinking far to much fizzy drink, never mind the alcohol.

Since I stopped drinking, which will be 2 years in Feb 2014, I have not had that feeling at all.
I can tell you that it is so nice not to have that worry that any twinge or pain is due to alcohol. I don't check my eyes anymore to see if they are yellow. I don't check for terry's nails (don't google if you don't know, meant in nicest possible way) I don't worry if my skin looks jaundiced.

It is so peaceful.
And if I am ill, I have no hesitation to go to my doctors because I know I can say hand on heart, I don't drink and I have not drunk for 18 months now. I am proud of it. I am proud of myself!

Before when I drank, I would try to stop a week before an appointment as the thought of having a blood test after the way I drank petrified me.

You shouldn't have to live like that.
I think it is like a special type of mental torture that we put ourselves through when we worry about our health and the damage that it might have done. Then drink even more to cope with the worry and thoughts.

I wish you the best xxxx
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi flujays. I have had liver twinges/slight pain for 3 years off and on. I have always had normal liver blood test results. I recently went to see a doctor as I had become concerned about my liver. I had an ultrasound and other tests and have recently been able to confirm that I "only" have fatty liver and fatty pancreas. It could have been cirrhosis but thankfully it was not. I can't drink any more though. Most people with early cirrhosis don't really have many symptoms. Many heavy drinkers don't develop cirrhosis but I feel that even if the news is bad it's better to know so that you can get the help you need. I hope this helps!