PAWS - reconsidered

Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS - reconsidered

I am past a month sober now and the acute stage of alcohol withdrawal for me finished two or three weeks or so ago.

I have tended to dismiss the idea of PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) as a bit of a made up label...well a label at any rate. And as someone who worked in Education and the mental health field over the years I have seen what misapplied labels and 'syndromes' used to explain a collection of symptoms can do.

However I have to say I am coming around to the idea of what I would prefer to call a 'lingering set of symptoms and consequences', which isn't very snappy I know, but seems more applicable to me.

In my particular case I am finding my levels of concentration, my ability to cope with everyday stresses and my ability to be purposeful in going about my daily stuff all seem to have been eroded.

I have read several articles on-line and without realising it ended up reading the description of this phenomenon here (and thinking it was the best I had come across too by the way!).

Part of the advice offered there is to be patient, which is advice I am trying to take. My brain chemistry is going to take months to recover from the battering it has had, which is after all what it is about. So I had better just sit tight and enjoy the ride to even better recovery - trying to stay on as even a keel as I do so.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Some of these labels are misused, Mentium, to my way of thinking. They might explain a certain condition, but are sometimes used to excuse future behaviours too.

Something you might consider is the value of treating yourself with care, gently, and with a generous spirit. Since you seem to lean that way, consider also the idea of rewiring your brain. That grey matter is plastic and our actions can make changes in that chemistry. Feed yourself well, exercise at least a little, be mindful, do activities that require and foster mastery, and things will gradually brighten.

Believe in yourself, Mentium. This life is different and requires change, but it is so much better, and you deserve it. Congratulations on your sobriety. Onward!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

One month sober. I think you are still in the throes of good, old-fashioned early recovery.

When you feel like crap at 6 months, then you can figure it's PAWS.

Continued success on your sober journey!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
One month sober. I think you are still in the throes of good, old-fashioned early recovery.

When you feel like crap at 6 months, then you can figure it's PAWS.

Continued success on your sober journey!
Agree. That's what brought me back to this site. The first 2 months was just coming out of the depression and getting the fog to clear. At 4 months I went depressive/manic. Didn't know anything about PAWS but it all fit. Actually thought you just fought off cravings and that was sobriety. Then it happened again but not as severe.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

I too think that "labels" are often used way too much. Even the term "Alcoholic" encompasses a wide variety of issues and people and is sometimes not the most helpful term or explanation. I agree that it takes some time for the brain chemistry to get readjusted and that we just have to expected that. Whether you want to call it PAW's or whatever makes no difference. What really gets me are terms like "alcoholic tendencies" or "dry drunk" , etc that really explain nothing and have nothing to do with a person's issue with alcohol most of the time. Much of it just has to do with being "human" and a "being". There are so many complaints about spouses/children/mothers/fathers that were drunks and stopped, but now they are dry drunks, because they are not "doing what they are supposed to do". Ultimately though if you take away alcohol from a "drunk *******", what are you left with? ..................right.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
However I have to say I am coming around to the idea of what I would prefer to call a 'lingering set of symptoms and consequences', which isn't very snappy I know, but seems more applicable to me.

In my particular case I am finding my levels of concentration, my ability to cope with everyday stresses and my ability to be purposeful in going about my daily stuff all seem to have been eroded.
For me, I suffered from alcohol-ISSUES when I drank and alcohol-ISM when I stopped drinking. That is to say, I experienced the consequences of alcoholism while practicing drinking and the emotional effects of alcoholism when I practiced abstinence.

I tried the not-drinking route dozens of times and slowly went mad as a result of not having a program to help me cope with my new feelings and new emotions. Which were the result of losing my favorite emotional pacifier - booze.

Abstinence is not-drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not-drinking and feeling good about it.

I used to use booze to feel good about not dealing with life.

Now I use life to feel good about not dealing with booze.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some interesting and stimulating thoughts! Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Since you seem to lean that way, consider also the idea of rewiring your brain. That grey matter is plastic and our actions can make changes in that chemistry. Feed yourself well, exercise at least a little, be mindful, do activities that require and foster mastery, and things will gradually brighten.
This ^^^. Since stopping drinking almost 2 years ago I have redoubled my efforts to stay physically and mentally fit. Still lagging on the spiritual unfortunately. ):