Do I need a sponsor?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I need a sponsor?

Hey all. I have been sober for a year and 5 months. Early in recovery, I attended AA a couple of times, but decided it wasn't for me.

I have since decided to give it another try and work the steps. Do I still need a sponsor at this point, or is that mainly for people who are new to sobriety?

My first meeting is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Michael and welcome!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience a sponsor is someone who is a guide in the program of AA and the steps that teach a new way of living, thinking and being. My sponsor has a sponsor. His sponsor has a sponsor. In short, no, you're not too far along to have a sponsor.

I'd highly recommend letting the group know your time and the fact that you need a sponsor and letting the sponsor find you. The right person will come to you.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MichaelRooker View Post
I have since decided to give it another try and work the steps. Do I still need a sponsor at this point, or is that mainly for people who are new to sobriety?
While it is possible to work some of the steps alone, there are some steps that will require some form of external guidance. Step 5 definitely can't be done without a sharing partner of some sort. It does not have to be a sponsor, it can be done with a therapist or clergyman if you choose.

However, If you really want to do "the best you can", you should have the guidance of someone who has been through the steps themselves. Even more important, you should have a sponsor who has gotten some results (aka promises) working the steps.

I would recommend posting this subject again in the 12 step forum. You would get much better feedback there.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

I would recommend posting this subject again in the 12 step forum. You would get much better feedback there.
Hi PK....congrats on the year+ sobriety.

I find it very interesting that you are interested in doing the steps now and am glad you posted in this area. I'm interested in what led you to choosing that option now? Did something happen, or you feel you need further guidance and AA steps are the solution?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there and good job on keeping it clean for over a year! It has been my short timers experience that the steps are best worked w/ a sponsor. AA, NA etc all have step workbook guides that are really helpful, you can buy those at the meeting and in many cases some groups suggest that you have a sponsor before you choose to work that workbook. Steps are good work to do, again and again for almost any problem. Congrats at facing the AA groups anew. I have found them very helpful and I am sure w/ your clean time, you will find yourself amongst good company and will serve as an inspiration to other recovering group members as well. Good luck! And I actually asked a few ppl to talk to me about being a sponsor b/f I picked the one I choose eventually. And this person, while not a "friend" has been a constant source of help and support. At AA, on the literature table, they may have a pamphlet (or it can be found online as well I bet) that talks about sponsorship...check that out as well. It is a short but sweet outline of what to expect and how to start your search.

Step on!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool

Here are the links to AA's pamphlet on sponsorship......................:

1) AA site..: Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

2) PDF....: http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Noelle beat me to posting the link to the pamphlet about sponsorship. His second link will take you right to it.

To anyone who has a sponsor, wants a sponsor, is a sponsor, is thinking about being a sponsor, or is just curious - read it. Good stuff!

Welcome to SR PK and congrats on your sober time!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No half measures

Most people who have 20+ years have sponsors. So it is definately no only for new people
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a friend in the program with 33 years of sobriety and his sponsor died. He got a new one shortly afterwards. It is not for new people, it is for alcoholics who seek to maintain or achieve sobriety through AA.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
It is not for new people, it is for alcoholics who seek to maintain or achieve sobriety through AA.
Where on earth did you get that idea?