Affirmations

Old 05-28-2004, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Affirmations

Our unconscious is like a vast subterranean factory with intricate machinery that is never idle, where work goes on day & night from the time we are born until the moment of our death.
—James Harvey Robinson

Not only do we all talk to ourselves, but we do it all the time. On a deeper level of consciousness than “Where did I put my glasses?� we ask & answer questions, weigh information & test different opinions. Our self-talk reinforces our reality to the extent that our entire self-concept & the esteem, or lack thereof, that flows from that concept is continuously re-created.

Affirmations are simply statements of positive truth. When we "do" affirmations, we take charge of that critical inner dialogue. By telling ourselves, "I am worthy even when I make a mistake," we legitimize that valid opinion whether or not we "feel" worthy at that moment. If we face ourselves in the mirror & say, "I am a lovable, competent person" we might hear an inner voice saying, "Who are you kidding?" But just the verbal expression of the positive self-definition enters an authoritative new voice into the inner dialogue.

Someone has said that affirmations are the quickest, least-bloody form of "brain surgery" ever devised. Of all the tools for self-rescue, what could be simpler or easier to use than affirmations?

I will use affirmations to reinforce realities that I know but don’t yet feel.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Thanks Doug!

Hugs,
Missy
Old 05-28-2004, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug
Someone has said that affirmations are the quickest, least-bloody form of "brain surgery" ever devised. Of all the tools for self-rescue, what could be simpler or easier to use than affirmations?
I love it.
Thanks Doug.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Doug-

Thanx... now if I could just remember what I did with my glasses. Affirmation:I know I will eventually find my glasses.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Simpler and easier to use than affirmations?

I found that Jesus does it better