Computer worm warning!

Old 05-26-2004, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Computer worm warning!

Just to let you guys know, if you already don't. There is a worm out there, I think my husband called it a Sasser Worm. any way, it got in my system on Thursday, apparently it is Attacking Windows XP, it get in a scrambles everything. When we called Microsoft, they told us, there is a program to stop it before it gets you, or if you catch it soon enough you can clean it out before it causes damage.

In our case, we didn't get it early enough, and we had to dump our entire hard-drive. We lost everything!! I am kicking myself for not backing anything up. All of our pictures we took over the years of the kids and holidays and other stuff are gone.

Other than that, It's just gonna take alot of work to put everything back in. Especially all of the documents, minutes, policies and other notes for NA Service, between me and my husband we hold a lot of positions that we have our stuff on the computer. All gone.

If you call micro soft the program to stop it is free.

Hope I helped someone.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Windows Update can be accessed online.
Fix tools and the proper patches are available for easy download.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

The Sasser Worm infects Window's Security Authority Service (or LSASS.EXE) that runs on ALL windows platforms and can cause all sorts of havok to any system infected.

Goto http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp for information and detection/removal tools directly from Microsoft if you think you may be having problems, or even if you're not sure.

best practices:

enable firewall on windows xp systems (network connections, adapter, properties, advanced)

ensure your windows update is actually up to date (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)

and always beware of emails with attachments - since windows will try to run ANYTHING that you tell it to

beyond that - good luck, or let me know if you have any problems

pad
Old 06-06-2004, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Or do what I did - get a Mac G5!!