Total abstinence ?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
There are Moderation Management meetings out there and online.
Wow, I am consistently reminded how strong and ever present that AV is. All that I had to do was to see the above and the voice began in my head

"WHERE, where is this??? Really??? Hey LB, you've never tried a program that actually taught moderation, maybe that will work! Yeah, that's the ticket, go look that up RIGHT NOW! Tell your husband about it, you can get him on board with it if you show it to him, REALLY, you can, I promise!, YOU CAN MODERATE AND DRINK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!"

Back to reality NO, I CAN'T DRINK! Moderation is torture, not even going to go and look it up. SMACK the AV, BE GONE !

I can lie to everyone around me (except my husband who is vigilant and can smell a minute drop of alcohol on me from ten miles away).

However, I can't lie to myself. Justifying drinking periodically to myself as a mental vacation is not sobriety, it's moderation. Moderation does not work and I've proven that time and time again. Sixty four days in and I am determined that this time it will stick. In fact, the LB that used to drink scares me now and in fact, I hate her.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Without reacting because of my daily dose of stupid pills sending me over the side of total sanity all I can say is BEWARE WHAT YOU/WE READ ON THE INTERNET OFTEN POSTED by total know nothings. And if the shoe fits -wear it. There are heavy/problem drinkers who probably could moderate with practice. Alcoholics are a breed apart and long term moderation is mostly wishful thinking and a dangerous topic for all alcoholics to even think about because the path may be death. BE WELL
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrSober View Post
Why would someone go to an AA meeting (or any meeting where abstinence is the requirement for attendance, like Lifering) and have moderation as a goal?
This is a part of miss information on the internet I speak of. Part of the AA Preamble which is from the AA Traditions.

"Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety."

BE WELL
Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
This is a part of miss information on the internet I speak of. Part of the AA Preamble which is from the AA Traditions.

"Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety."

BE WELL
the only requirement for membership in AA is a "desire to stop drinking."
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There's a concept called "damage management" which encourages moderation; and given that so many people have trouble finding sobriety, it's a useful one. But for me, it's like padding the wall you're beating your head against.

It's important to see that we're addicted, and that addiction is a disease. It's not that we're bad or weak, though our addiction can make us that way.

Getting sober is tough, and the early going isn't much fun. What I heard was 90 meetings in 90 days, though I did a lot more than that; and sure I wanted to drink sometimes, and sometimes I couldn't think of a good reason not to. But 90 days without opens up a whole new world.