The lifelong journey

Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The lifelong journey

Hi,

Sobriety for me has been a constant journey. Every day I deal with temptation and some days are easier than others. I have found that my thoughts have immense influence over my actions and I have tried to be more aware of what's going on in my head.

A lot of times, my mind just goes on autopilot. I have read books about how the subconscious mind works and have found the information helpful.

A good book is "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy. A quick ebook read is "The Awakened Phoenix" by Kaylin Rose. Both books emphasize changing one's thoughts to get to the heart of the matter. I feel like I'm trying to learn how to walk again.

Sagain33
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah. Base brain or Lizard brain. If you haven't yet, I would suggest googling Rational Recovery/AVRT. The book I used is Rational Recovery The New Cure by Jack Trimpey.

I haven't had any autopilot moments although I used to say "it was like I was on auto-pilot...". Well, for me, once I understood what was going on, I realized it wasn't anything like that at all. It was the beast part of my brain, "IT" or my AV (Addictive Voice).
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Sagain33 View Post
Both books emphasize changing one's thoughts to get to the heart of the matter.
I tried for years to change my thoughts with zero long term results. Then I learned that by changing my actions, something changed my thoughts for me.

If you act as if there is something like Karma going on in the Universe - the Universe will act as if there is something like Karma going on in your life.