On breaking traditions...

Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I don't think a newcomer would be afraid by what I posted. They would be prudent to be cautious by what has been posted on this thread. That is, not to share in detail anything that may incriminate them.

Originally Posted by awuh1
Is there anything else you don’t find him?
actually, yes. I find him to be authentic in working his chosen program. It appears he actually embraces the concepts, rather than just pay them lip service. He represents well. If I were to attend a support group, it would be because of people like him who don't find an opposing opinion threatening and don't perceive every comment as a personal dig or challenge.

And it wasn't thinly veiled...it was obviously for your benefit since you like to follow my posts so closely. Xo

Legna, I think an announcement in the beginning could possibly be a workable solution. As a newcomer, I think I would appreciate the heads up.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I think an announcement in the beginning could possibly be a workable solution. As a newcomer, I think I would appreciate the heads up..."

Okey-dokey here.....As a member, in good standing, of AA for over 27 years, I understand your dilemma, legna, and I agree with soberlicious. The line "...Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now..." is found in How It Works (pg 58 in the BB), which is usually read at the beginning of most meetings; unfortunately, many folks just sort of tune it out, after a time. Often in the meetings I've attended, that particular sentence is restated by the chairperson for the benefit of the newcomer, in the hopes that they won't get too detailed.

There's also the saying heard at many meetings.....: "What you hear here; who you see here; when you leave here, let it stay here." Of course, that saying can be subjective, depending on how one defines the term 'here' in it......but that's for another thread.

........'n BTW, I don't see the caveat to the newcomer as 'fear-based' and it would not have driven me from AA; in fact I heard it often, as a newcomer, and I stayed, feeling my best interests were at the heart of it.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Soberlicious, actually I don’t follow your posts closely (but it’s interesting that you would think so). It’s regrettable that you find it necessary to resort to characterizations because typically you can make a point without the distraction of doing so.

My point is simply that there are enormous obstacles erected to recovery by the addictions themselves, so ANYTHING that might serve to inhibit someone from taking positive steps to address the problem needs to be considered very carefully.

This is particularly true when spoken by an individual who does not use or endorse the program or method they are commenting on, but I’m sure your heart was in the right place.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

to the point at hand... one meeting i attend weekly begins with a statement along the lines of "if you used or drank today, please don't share, but get with one of us face-to-face after the meeting." maybe something like that could help in a situation such as this?

hope it all works out...
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by ersatzmatriarch
one meeting i attend weekly begins with a statement along the lines of "if you used or drank today, please don't share, but get with one of us face-to-face after the meeting."
That seems like a great solution.

Originally Posted by awuh1
Soberlicious, actually I don’t follow your posts closely (but it’s interesting that you would think so). It’s regrettable that you find it necessary to resort to characterizations because typically you can make a point without the distraction of doing so.

My point is simply that there are enormous obstacles erected to recovery by the addictions themselves, so ANYTHING that might serve to inhibit someone from taking positive steps to address the problem needs to be considered very carefully.

This is particularly true when spoken by an individual who does not use or endorse the program or method they are commenting on, but I’m sure your heart was in the right place.
*yawn*