Muddying the Waters.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Muddying the Waters.

Sorry to muddy the waters a bit, I have a tendency to over think.

Just wondering re A.A. and sobriety...........

If a, say, 5 year total abstainer was to consume, say, a small sherry would she go back to day 1? I would suggest, yes.

Also on the same issue of long term sobriety and A.A., what of alcohol in cough medicine ( a first drink?) foods cooked in wine sauce, and even Holy Communion?
In these instance, I think, no!

On Jan 14/13 I drank too much,date of sobriety Jan 15 ?and since have consumed very small and infrequent amounts of alcohol. Under A.A. criteria (no drunkeness) is 14/1 negated as D.O.S.

JUST WONDERING.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we as alcoholics can split hairs to infinity Murch.

I don't knowingly ingest alcohol - even tho I'm a Catholic and I believe in transubstantiation in communion.

I know me - I could rationalise for the Olympics - so I keep it simple.

I have no business consuming alcohol if I want to keep what I have, no matter how small and infrequent the sips.

To be honest, you sound a lot like me - so I really suggest you do the same.

D
Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my thoughts are if the alcohol is intended alcohol. Not meant for religious/hygiene reasons. You are willingly consuming alcohol and excusing it.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A sobriety date seems to be generally accepted as the last time you took a drink. If you take another drink, you also get another sobriety date.

If you are an allergic type like me, you can never safely consume alcohol in any form.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
A sobriety date seems to be generally accepted as the last time you took a drink. If you take another drink, you also get another sobriety date.

If you are an allergic type like me, you can never safely consume alcohol in any form.

Thanks Mike I think that's the clearest way of looking at it.
I've had lots of normal/light drinking which have messed up my real sobriety.
I think that some alcoholics fall for the trap of thinking that lots of "moderate"drinking proves a dubious point, when in actuality one drink, even after lots of moderate drinking, can set up that potentially fatal binge.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been thinking that I will not go back to drinking Kombucha, there is a small, very small percentage of alcohol in the drink. I stopped drinking many times and continued my Kombucha. This time I made a firm commitment not to drink anything, even the Kombucha. I don't want to take any chances of messing with my sobriety.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nowme View Post
I have been thinking that I will not go back to drinking Kombucha, there is a small, very small percentage of alcohol in the drink. I stopped drinking many times and continued my Kombucha. This time I made a firm commitment not to drink anything, even the Kombucha. I don't want to take any chances of messing with my sobriety.
Never heard of it.
Some time back I tried a little red wine for my heart.
I have stopped as I believe plain grape juice, peanuts, and increased cardio work is a far better option. There are many traps for the unwary.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kombucha is s fermented tea that has vitaminB, live bacteria and aids in healthy skin and nails. It is Probiotic as well. I thought it was a healthy alternative to drinking. When I would quit drinking I would substitute this drink. I know many people who drink it and they claimed it had many health benefits. It probably does but for me it is too risky.
I'm not knocking anyone who drinks it that is sober,because the alcohol content is very, very low. Reading your post just reminded me of my desire not to let anything get in the way of my sobriety.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Nowme.
I was in de tox round 95/96 and became a "moderate drinker"...........Jan 14-13 broke out 9 pots of beer/ 4 wines, along with low behaviour and $ 300 worse than down the gurgler.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My second time around was in 95, my true 3rd time around was 2013. I plan for that to always be my last date!
Cheers!! ( holding up my sparking white grape juice)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

According to The Mayo Clinic:

"Health benefits attributed to kombucha tea include stimulating the immune system, preventing cancer, and improving digestion and liver function. However, there's no scientific evidence to support these health claims.

There have, however, been reports of adverse effects such as stomach upset, infections and allergic reactions in kombucha tea drinkers. Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under nonsterile conditions, making contamination likely. If ceramic pots are used for brewing, lead poisoning might be a concern — the acids in the tea may leach lead from the ceramic glaze.

In short, there isn't good evidence that kombucha tea delivers on its health claims. At the same time, several cases of harm have been reported. Therefore, the prudent approach is to avoid kombucha tea until more definitive information is available."
Old 05-25-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I read that same thing. I do know a lot of people who drink it and find it beneficial . I, myself am abstaining from it. It never hurt my stomach, that I am aware of but I don't plan on drinking it anymore