Leaving one of my groups...

Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Leaving one of my groups...

6 months, 3 day! (Day 187)

I attend 3 recovery groups a week. I have been attending these 3 groups for over 6 months now. My Thursday night group used to be my favorite group. There are 7 of us who make up the core group. There have been visitors along the way and others who have came and went, not taking sobriety seriously. But the 7 of us who make up the "core" group have all remained faithful to sobriety and to the group.

But in the last 2 months I have seen a shift in the subject matter of the group. We have steered away from S/A (substance abuse) and have started discussion on other matters. The facilitator of the group has let it go. The last 3 weeks we have discussed leg waxing (the females, 3 of them, decided to compare their experinces one night while the guys talked - not kidding - fishing (that is all but me). They have talked diets, kids, vacation and last night the conversation for the girls was cooking and the guys talked....well, I can't remember.

I have brought it up a few times about staying on subject, only to be ignored. So I have decided that last night was my last night. I need to find another Thursday night group that is devoted to recovery. I have been awake all night deciding this. I need to stay focused, least I fall. I am very serious about my sobriety.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've switched up my meetings a few times. Sometimes meetings change, other times I change and find that what I used to get out of certain meetings I don't anymore.Plus its fun to "shop" around, try new meetings, meet new people. You can always go back to that meeting later on to see if things have changed.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Yea, I'm finding all of what you said is true. Thanks for info.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I'm a girl and can't imagine talking about waxing during a meeting! lol I'm actually speechless!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Yea, i was taken back by the whole night. It was a "what the hell just happened" type of meeting.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I left a recovery group years ago (not substance abuse) for similar reasons. I found myself asking "why am I here?". A friend in the group felt the same way and we began to use that time together for more life affirming activities.

Looks like you are thinking straight and making healthy priorities for yourself!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

IMO recovery is a life and death matter so to waste valuable meeting time discussing outside issues changes the primary purpose of having recovery meetings in the first place.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Well said, Boleo.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand wanting to stay "faithful" in a small group like the one you described, but you're responsible for your sobriety and it sounds like you don't need any pointers on leg waxing. Sitting through meetings that have little or nothing to do with sobriety won't do you or the others in the room any good.

So... how did it go? Have you found another Thursday night meeting?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Yes, I have. I am also attending a Clean & Sober rally this Saturday (15th). There is going to be a band, 4 speakers who will be speaking on staying clean & sober. And, for the main event, yours truly - me - will be taking on all comers on a pro arm wrestling table, with a pro referee. Anyone who pins me will win a cash prize of $250.00. The last one of these I did, I arm wrestled 40 guys, all sizes and ages. No one beat me, but I was getting tired. I am looking forward to this very much.