Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

whats going on Crissy?
how can we help?

D
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really really want a drink right now.. Recently moved to a new city, I know nobody, and I'm a very introverted person so for the past 4 months I've been spending a lot of time by myself and its about to drive me nuts! I feel alone.. Nobody gets it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Drinking won't make you less lonely, it just blots out the pain. The answer to loneliness is to get out and explore your new city. Find an organization that interests you and volunteer. Introverted? Shy? Then volunteer at an animal shelter. Dogs and cats don't care what you are...they love you for being you.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Use this as a time to grow spiritually and work on your self. When you become spiritually connected you week never feel alone,.for how can you be alone when you are connected to all of existence. Go out seek The Power that drives us all, you have nothing to lose
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered Alcoholic

Make sure not to block yourself from the H.P. ( God ) of your understanding. I isolated recently and my head went back into the 'poor me' thing. Not good and something I had to get myself out of. Can you attend meeting near where you live?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking put me in the hospital! I am also shy, have no friends!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered Alcoholic

Ok, well keep posting on here and I hope it gets easier for you
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

How are you doing today Chrissy?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
How are you doing today Chrissy?
I'm ok! (: Thank you!! Weekend turned out to be all right. Attempted to go to my very first AA meeting earlier this evening and it didn't work out as planned... I left my apartment extra early so I could get there well before too many people had arrived and as I'm pulling up to the building there were, no kidding, like 15-20 people standing outside the door talking, laughing, and carrying on... I INSTANTLY got an overwhelming sense of anxiety not only bc there were so many people, but bc that many people would be listening to me talk and I would have to introduced myself to that many people.. Sounds silly, but I totally chickened out. The only thing going through my head at that point was, OMGoodness I need a few drinks in me before I can face that crowd. I feel like I'm so shy and socially awkward that I couldn't bring myself to stay. Hoping to try again soon.. We will see. Hope everybody else is doing well!!! )
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottw991 View Post
Ok, well keep posting on here and I hope it gets easier for you
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! So comforting to know there's people out there that care enough to check up without even knowing me! I really appreciate it!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Well at least you tried to go, which is better than not going at all. Is there a smaller meeting you can go to?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Chrissyflecth, there are meetings in the chat room here. Its just as good to go to one of the meetings here as a face-to-face meeting. You wont have too "get over" anything and you can leave anytime you like. I'll find out when the next one is and PM you, and by the way, .
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I agree with Nefer, the chat meetings here are great!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When you do try again, go armed with the knowledge that all of those people have something in common with you, and they all lean really hard on the fact that there's strength in numbers vs. booze. You will be welcomed and, if it's like the meetings around here, nobody will pressure you to speak if you're not ready.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Chrissyflecth, there are meetings in the chat room here. Its just as good to go to one of the meetings here as a face-to-face meeting. You wont have too "get over" anything and you can leave anytime you like. I'll find out when the next one is and PM you, and by the way, .
When are these meetings I'd like to try it ?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Meetings are Tuesday and Friday at 9 pm EDT/EST in the SR Chat Room

(look at the blue bar above and click on chat, java is needed for this and you are prompted if your computer doesn't have it already).

Come join us!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Chrissy you don't have to say anything at all at a meeting. You can sit quietly and just observe. At some point they might ask if anyone is attending their first meeting and you can raise you hand and introduce yourself if you want. You don't have to though. If you do people will probably come over to you after the meeting and give you a Where and When and some phone numbers of female members to call if you need a little help.

I was very afraid before my first meeting! I think most of us were.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BLJ

That's a normal reaction for an alcoholic....go to a meeting, but then not go to a meeting. Been there, done that. Even after in recovery for awhile, I did it. Don't forget those people are alcoholics and have probably gone through, going through what your feelings have been. That's how we relate to each other. Just keep going to a meeting....ask for help to get inside the room. You don't have to say a thing, if you don't want to. And you may find out that there are some people there who you really like and guess what, they will like you too. You can do it! We all have.....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My best to you...ring up your local AA hotline and see if you can meet up with someone for a meeting.

I take our hotline once a week, and usually get only one call per night. I'd love to have more people call to talk with about drinking/sobriety, hooking them up for meetings, setting up 12 step calls.

It's a great resource that you might want to take advantage of.