SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   Things you noticed being sober/clean (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/28961-things-you-noticed-being-sober-clean.html)

best 05-05-2004 06:13 PM

Things you noticed being sober/clean

Or put in another light... Things you noticed when you slow down and take life...one moment at a time.

Seeing the moon that Mike posted about had me reflect on a few things.
Lilacs in the air, cherry blossoms in the spring.
My being a biker I notice things from that perspective as well. With my nose in the wind, I notice a lot more then inside a closed car.
Ride down the highway just as it starts to rain... the smell of the oil lifting off the road. The bakery cooking the bread. The spice manufacturer grinding the pepper. Skunks *LOL* OK even on a day that my head would be in the clouds, the skunk still would get notice.
Thing is... as we remain sober and take life one moment at a time, we can see so much around us. The smile on a baby's face. The many colors that make up the blue in a person's eye. The wrinkles of wisdom seen in a 90 year old wise grandmother.

Slow down, look about and then post what you see over the next day or so.
As with Mike bringing attention to the beautiful moon last night (THANK YOU MIKE) we, just by our posting such things can enlighten each other with the many things of beauty around us.
So what have you seen?

Dan 05-05-2004 06:37 PM

Re: Things you noticed being sober/clean

Mmmmmm... Just today I noticed a neighborhood tomcat sharpening his claws on the corner fence post I keep wanting to fix. He looked fairly content once he was done and proceeded to stalk a couple of robins scrounging around the garden for worms. I looked at this old tom and thought about the eons of instinct inside this beast, passed down to him through perhaps thousands of species before him. And much like I had wondered about some geese I had observed a few weeks prior, I imagined this cat feeling happy about it's lot. Eat, sleep, play and procreate. I had never noticed this cat until a few months ago. A neighbor told me she's been feeding him milk for years. So after I'm done typing this, I'm going to go sit on the deck and look at the Moon I couldn't see last night. And I hope ol' tom comes by for a visit again. We have a lot of catching up to do him and I.

True Blue 05-05-2004 07:08 PM

What have I seen? Went to the barn and checked on my hen who was sitting on eggs. When I got to the nest I noticed it was all messed up and the eggs were spread all over and there were egg shells all around. I called my husband at work to tell him that something ate the eggs and disturbed the nest. Well around 5:00 I started hearing this peeping and right on the side of my house was my mother hen with her 9 baby chicks. I just sat there at the window and watched them it was so beautiful, I have been raising chickens for a very long time, today was the 1st time that I have really seen them.

Then right at sunset me & husband and my 2 grandsons 2 & 5, Went and caught all the little chicks and mother, and put them in a coup. You should have seen the delight in my grandsons faces, priceless. Oh what a joy my life brings me now. Thank you God for having mercey on me.

dotcom 05-05-2004 10:42 PM

I noticed... little things like carpet and the color of paint on a wall. smells of air fresheners and how much gas it takes to fill my gas tank. characters in tv shows that i used to never really pay attention to. how much my dog meant to me.

let me think of more! good thread best!

Doug 05-06-2004 05:34 AM

One of the things that struck me, and that I still pay attention to, is just how beatiful a day can be. Speciffically when the sun is out, and life is just moving along.

Just being aware of a bright, sunny day.

Thats where my list would begin.

mnj1024 05-06-2004 06:09 AM

yw best, awesome thred idea. I'm still in awe over the moon thing. But yeah everything just seems clearer now colors, smells, textures, OH yeah the taste of a good meal and the feeling of being full. or appreciating a comfortable bed just before I lay down for sleep and knowing I will sleep peacefully instead of tossing and turning all night beating myself up in my head. ((hugs)) to all of you!

mike

splendra 05-06-2004 06:25 AM

I have noticed my thoughts more clearly and which ones to keep or toss.

Paulie 05-06-2004 02:00 PM

What a great thread.

Birds, I used to hate birds, noise was all I thought they were, and the noise in my head was enough I did not need the dang birds chirping too. Today I love birds, I got this bird feeder for my birthday and I hung it right outside the kitchen window, listening to them today makes me smile.

And the colors of the trees when the seasons change.

The kids playing in the day care behind my backyard.

My SO playing his guitar (now that he learned some songs ;))

WOW my list could go on and on.

I notice other people smiling now too.

Thanks for this - great stuff to remember.

suebug 05-06-2004 04:00 PM

Drunk people! The first evening I visited this site, I had been reading your threads for a couple of hours when our neighbors came barreling through the doors so drunk they could hardly stand. I was sad for their condition, but after an hour or so of listening to the same LOUD stories over and over and over and over, I had an overwhelming desire to take a nap! It also seems like everytime I turn on the TV, someone is sharing a story about how alcohol ruined or almost ruined their lives. Drunk driving commercials, songs about alcoholism, the man stumbling down the sidewalk...it seems to be everywhere lately. It breaks my heart everytime I see it, but selfishly it has given me strength as it has served as a mirrior reminding me where I was headed. Beyond alcohol related situations, I have certainly seen everything differently. Ain't it cool without that haze!

best 05-06-2004 06:20 PM

Suebug

Yes I have seen that as well. It is a reminder of where I was and yes sad to see.
I grew in many areas from seeing that. How I handle it these days... A polite hello and just let the changes in me be a witness that they may see. If they see how different my life is without the drinking, they may want the same. By example, not by words I may be able to show them the truth.
Prayer as well goes along with that here. I try to always remember that someone showed me with kindness and understanding what could be for my life. It would be nice to be able to do that for others.

Would be so wonderful for all people to be able to see... the flowers, the baby chickens, the paint colors, a warm day and sunshine, clear thoughts, the smell of a flower, the full moon at night, a love for a puppy, ... What a woderful list of beauty all of you have put together here.

Keep them coming. You all have brighteed my spirit by them.

ted 05-06-2004 06:37 PM

I'VE REALIZED THAT I HAVE ALOT OF WORK TO DO.
NOT DRINKING/DRUGGING HAS STOPPED BUT THAT DOESN'T EVEN SCATCH THE SURFACE.BIG TIME THINGS NEEDING CHANGING.OOOOOMAN.

ted :boggled: :banghead:

mackat 05-06-2004 07:50 PM

good thread-
i notice me looking at the guy delivering the concrete as another human being- not as some cog in a machine ...
i quietly SHOWED a kid how to muck mud...
i talk to my baby trees!!!!
mackat

"Forgetful one, get up!
It's dawn, time to start searching.
Open your wings and lift.
Give like the blacksmith
even breath to the bellows.

Tend the fire that changes
the shape of metal.

Alchemical work begins at dawn,
as you walk out to meet The Friend."

-Lalla

1Marty 05-06-2004 07:54 PM

I really notice getting to bed at a decent hour, and feeling good in the morning. The fresh morning spring air is realy great!

suebug 05-07-2004 01:40 PM

Boy I relate to that one. Mornings are so much friendlier these days.

Little Missy 05-07-2004 02:12 PM

That I am not alone when I feel down.

That I can feel my Mothers love for me. And boy is she proud, smiling down at me from above!

I love to watch my son play, dance, and try to sing his ABC's.

I see my daughters head turn to me at the sound of my voice. Watching her try to learn to crawl, just like Mommy is learning new things now!

Thanks all, what a beautiful day!
Love,
Missy

Paulie 05-07-2004 02:16 PM

That is beautiful Missy.

Dan 05-07-2004 02:24 PM

Yep Missy, you got this ol' addict smiling with that.

True Blue 05-07-2004 02:27 PM

Missy I am smiling also. That touched my heart.

ted 05-07-2004 02:53 PM

(((lil'ONE)))
THOSE CHILDREN ARE VERY FOTUNATE,TO HAVE YOU FOR THIER MOTHER! :angel2: :baby: :baby: SOMETHING ABOUT A BABY........

ted

Gooch 05-11-2004 05:57 AM

wow.. great thread Best! look at what ya got started.. now it's spring I listen to the birdsong outside the window and depending on how much grass is left to mow, I either smile or want to yell "shut up and quit singing for rain!" lol last night my bud Mikey came over and we listened to some blues on the truck stereo while we sat down behind the barn and burned some brush and spring yard clippings.. ( just a little pile .. 9 ft across and 7 ft high couple more fires and I should have al the spring cleanup gone. )

I can hear the cleats and back up alarms of the dozers and compactors 1/4 mile to the north working the landfill.. the first thing I thought this morning was I sure hope they get the earthberm on this end done so I don't have to listen to that all summer..but after reading this thread and some of the replies, I stopped being so self centered and started thinking of the individuals running the equipment and the new manager who's trying hard to make the changes that will make the landfill less unnattractive and a better neighbor. They have allready built a 50' stepped berm along the road way prepping for trees and a natural landscape screen. Maybe instead of calling up and ranting and raving, I can just call and ask nicely what their time construction frame for this other end is?