Shewwwww.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Shewwwww.

I'm so thankful to have found such an incredible place as this. I never hit rock bottom, or anything of the sorts, but I know that my drinking was entering a new phase. (blackouts, getting in the car for more beer, horrible hangovers, falling) This sounds strange, but I had a dreadful feeling that something terrible was around the corner. Falling is a biggie for me. It used to be funny, but at 34 years old- waking up with bruises or aches and not remembering how they got there was horrid. Until, of course, my DH would lovingly tell me what happened. Attractive huh? I am in the music business where not only is it okay to drink in excess, it is the norm. This has made the lines fuzzy for me because most people just don't realize how bad my situation was becomming. "You don't have a drinking problem, you just need to learn when to stop". Yeah right! I tried every approach possible, which always led to the same place. I was the life of the party, until we got home and I kept drinking. What a party it must be for my husband. Holding me as I sobbed uncontrolably, trying to make sense of my crazy unconnected sentences. Poor guy dosen't deserve it. We've been married for 2 years and together for 4, so I haven't had enough time to do serious damage. But I'm certain that deep in his heart, he was getting over it. I've tried to quit several times, but I'm not much of a "meeting" person, so when I found you guys- I felt a trememdous sense of relief. I knew I couldn't do it alone. My DH lends such support, but even he has tried to convince himself..."if I could only learn when to stop"...I knew I needed to be somewhere where folks would remind me that abstinance is the only option. I've been lurking around here each day and have shed many tears for the stories I have read. I know that I can do this but I know it will be a serious challange. Thank you in advance if you made it this far down the page! It feels great to know that I'm on my way.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Re: Shewwwww.

SUEBUG,GLAD YOUR HERE.
I WAS A FALLER TOO IN A SENSE,INCREDIBLE ACTS OF STUPIDITY.
STUNTMAN WANNABE I SUPPOSE.HEY GUYS LOOK WHAT I CAN DO.

I HAVE COME TO LOVE THIS PLACE,GREAT BUNCH.
STICK AROUND,KEEP POSTING
WISHING YOU WELL TODAY
ted
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi sue, I want to ask you a question. Is there anybody NOT in the music business in Nashville?! Hey, I'm glad to meet you. I read your reply to my friend Mike in the " More stinking thinking" thread and I thought right away, man, this is a good person. Music is a big part of my life and has also been a way to earn a living in the past. We had a great thread going here before the Great Server Crash. Bunch of us chiming in with our stories relating to addiction and how our music suffered. And there was a common denominator to all of them. The substances that at first gave us an imagined edge in composing or performing or simply jamming in the end robbed us of the essential purity of our relationship with the instrument or the craft. It got so bad for me in the end that no one would have me. My last gig, as a solo acoustic act, saw me fall off my stool as I was tuning up! How's that for attractive!
So now, many months later, after a journey started in a psychiatric ward and then residential rehab, I arrived here one day and haven't left! I'm pulling my guitars out of their cases one by one and discovering the sensual relationship I had with them survives in sobriety. And it's an awesome gift that I can still play.
Thanks for letting me talk about music.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

Originally Posted by suebug
"You don't have a drinking problem, you just need to learn when to stop". Yeah right! I tried every approach possible, which always led to the same place./ It feels great to know that I'm on my way.
Hi suebug! Remember what G.I. Joe used to always say "knowing is half the battle". It seemed very overwhelming to me at first when I learned that "when to stop" was before the first one. In time I finally accepted that. Like my friend dan always say "I can never drink or drug safely again". yes, you are definately on your way. The battle is half over you realize the problem, now all you have to do is find a solution to it that works for you. I'm glad your here and wish you well in finding that solution.

mike
Old 05-04-2004, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Suebug , welcome to SR I am so glad you found us .

My name is Lee , alcoholic , and I now have 6 1/2 months sober . I chose AA as my road to recovery , and lthough it was very hard at first , to go to meetings , I perservered and now would not be without them . I was not a " meetings person " either . my disease had progressed ( as it does) to the point where I had totally isolated myself, and never left my house , except to work , or buy booze .

Whichever way you choose to go, hang with us here , you will find great friendship and support

I look forward to getting to know you

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-07-2004, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Feeling better each day. I don't know why it's been so easy this time around. I must have been just scared enough...been loosing weight rapidly too! I'm not huge by any stretch, but definatly am enjoying working out and becomming healthy. I've had some moments where I craved the buzz, but came into this forum and was just fine. My skin is looking better and the whites of my eyes are clear. It feels really great. Hugs to all of you who have made this transition easier for me and who have found the strength to make a better life for yourselves.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

Originally Posted by suebug
Feeling better each day. I don't know why it's been so easy this time around. I must have been just scared enough...been loosing weight rapidly too! I'm not huge by any stretch, but definatly am enjoying working out and becomming healthy. I've had some moments where I craved the buzz, but came into this forum and was just fine. My skin is looking better and the whites of my eyes are clear. It feels really great. Hugs to all of you who have made this transition easier for me and who have found the strength to make a better life for yourselves.
Hey suebug, been thinking about ya. Im glad to hear that your doing good. It's only hard when we make it hard. coming here when we have cravings and leaning on others like us for support and understanding instead of using, what a concept! who would have thought it could be that simple. your getting more healthy in mind as well as body everyday, keep it up!

mike

Last edited by mnj1024; 05-07-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hey Sue! Welcome! Glad you are going better! This place is just wonderful, I love everyone here. Such great support and advise, even quite a few laughs! Keep it up girl!

Hugs,
Missy
Old 05-07-2004, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome Sue !
Old 07-31-2004, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad your here Sue.

Hey Mike .. my GI Joe never said nuttin' I must have been gipped.