Gotta be careful...

Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Exclamation Gotta be careful...

I was watching an interview video on youtube the other day of one of my favorite MMA fighters who is known for his heavy drinking in-between fights. He was telling the interviewer that for the last 9 months he has cut down on his drinking to only two days a week (Thursdays and Sundays). He trains the other 5 days a week. I train for pro armwrestling competitons and when I heard this, right off the bat began to ask myself why I had stopped drinking entirely.

In my mind I began to wrestle with the possiblity of going back to drinking only drinking two days a week as this guy claims he does. That sounded so good and so responsible that I wrestled with that for 2 days! I had to kick this thought out of my head at least a dozen times in that 2 day period. A return to drinking for me would be the ruin of my life! I might start with 2 days a week, but I know that within a month I would be right back to drinking every day. And I would die!

I gotta say NO to it every time it raises its ugly head!

RELAPSE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Just being serious about my sobriety!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I relate to this. I even have friends (who don't think I can really quit) who have suggested that I keep it to a couple times a week.

Problem is, there is always a possibility that something horrible will happen every time I drink. I don't think for a second that I could just do it twice a week, but even if I could, disaster could easily strike. I get too out of control.

I know a guy who only drinks on Saturday nights. He has been arrested many times for fighting and driving drunk. He drinks once a week, and his life is totally screwed up because of it.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. If I drink once a week, then I will say why can't I drink two nights. Then as everyone knows, every night. No thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found that I had to completely shut of any comparisons to other people in order to stay sober. My main drinking buddy gave me a bit of a hard time for quitting, saying 'you could drink every now and then', whilst boasting himself that he never drinks in the week any more. I have to remember that I never managed that, ever. People can drink a few days a week if they want to. I am 98% certain that if I started drinking again that I would never be able to stop. And then people would start saying 'why don't you stop drinking everyday' rather that 'why don't you drink occasionally'. People can keep their opinions. My drinking habits managed to live in isolation to anyone elses for a long time so I don't see why it should matter what other people drink now.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Yep. We're all on the same page. I know that I cannot drink just 1 or 2 nights a week. I need to remain completely sober. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I can't moderate myself either. It's either all or nothing. One drink and I'm done.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your forearms must be enormous Dave like popeye
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

LOL, I train forearms 2 - 3 times week. Along with grip. I have two comps this year. The first year ever while sober! Used to be big time partying after comps, but this year I will return to my hotel room with my wife and enjoy sobriety.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
That is so cool! I've never even heard of pro armwrestling but I instantly love it!

Imagine what a badass that MMA fighter would be if he drank zero days...

The strongest are those who fight and win the battles of the mind. Anyone who has ended an addiction is a true warrior.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Soberlicious, so true! I'm now finding that out. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I only drank once a week Dave, usually Monday morning to Sunday night.

All the best.

Bob R