Getting ready for Recovery

Old 04-28-2004, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Getting ready for Recovery

No rule of recovery will work if I don’t.
— Iris S.

It’s quite possible to confuse getting ready to recover with actually doing the work that results in recovery. All the reading we do, the meetings we attend & the sharing with others can still be just “getting ready.�

Recovery begins after we’ve gathered information, talked about it, thought about it & written about it. Recovery is doing, acting, working. The work of recovery is in progress if we actually say no when no needs to be said, when we stay put when old tapes tell us to run, when we let ourselves get good & angry when we are tempted to deny that a situation is outrageous.

The work of getting ready is still work, however. Such work is not to be slighted. Each “getting ready� activity we do takes us inch by inch to the spiritual jumping-off point where we are ready to confront the demons in our lives.

Recovery comes to be when we actually stand up, dig down & face off the old destructive patterns that hold us captive.

Today, I will be aware that thinking about doing is not the same as doing. Today, I will act.

Days of Healing, Days of Joy

Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Doug, I really need to get this book.
I also need to clean out my "old tapes" collection. Most of them need to be tossed.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Re: Getting ready for Recovery

good one doug!!! thanks!!!

hugs,

dot