new and on day 10

Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and on day 10

After years of trying to give up the booze, I have finally accepted that I have a massive problem with drink.
I'm happy to say that I'm finding it much easier than I thought. Even tho, I work in a bar, and live across from an outdoor (booze shop).
However, the mood swings I am suffering are dreadful and making me depressed.
I go from feeling so happy that I have choosen to do this, to feeling very deprived of my crutch, and then a nothingless feeling that I really don't like.
Any tips for getting through, what I hope is just part of recovery?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are a lot of emotional ups and downs associated with early recovery.

The downs can be challenging. So can working in the bar and associating with friends who drink.

I hope you will investigate the various methods of recovery and find one that suits you.

I spent ten years trying to quit because I didn't understand what sobriety entailed. It's more that just not drinking. It's understanding why we drank, dealing with life without drinking, coping without alcohol.

Living without the booze took recovery. Much different that merely quitting, though that's the first step.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I spent ten years trying to quit because I didn't understand what sobriety entailed. It's more that just not drinking. It's understanding why we drank, dealing with life without drinking, coping without alcohol.
Totally agree with you on that. I had a hard time because I didn't know what to do after I quit.

I found a good counsellor and he recommended daytox for me. Great program, they give you tools on different ways of coping and trying to deal with why I drank.

It does get easier, I think the beginning is the worst, but we can make it.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by vodkavictim1 View Post
After years of trying to give up the booze, I have finally accepted that I have a massive problem with drink.
I'm happy to say that I'm finding it much easier than I thought. Even tho, I work in a bar, and live across from an outdoor (booze shop).
However, the mood swings I am suffering are dreadful and making me depressed.
I go from feeling so happy that I have choosen to do this, to feeling very deprived of my crutch, and then a nothingless feeling that I really don't like.
Any tips for getting through, what I hope is just part of recovery?
I was on an emotional rollercoaster for the first few months. It's normal. I don't know of anyone who has quit drinking and becoming a stable, rational, emotionally evenly keeled person overnight. Our bodies and minds are readjusting to all the alcohol withdrawal and our emotional growth, which has been stunted up until we quit the bottle, starts up again.

I had to ride it out, and realize that the thoughts I have are just that - thoughts. And it's how I react to them that determines how my day will be.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well put Paul99. That rollercoaster is a trip. But I found it to be a positive as I saw a lot of things that needed to be addressed as every emotion was wiping past. Thank God the ride stopped and now I have the opportunity to insert positive changes.