Non-Alcoholic Beers

Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

Some people like the taste of beer itself regardless of if there is alcohol in it.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
What's the point though? To look like you're actually drinking beer?
Yeah, well that's a way to really simplify things. Who cares that you look like your drinking a beer, are we like 12??? It is a problem because there are people whose drink of choice WAS beer, and they may think since it is Advertised as non-alcoholic they can switch to that.

Look I have been sober a looong time and it got ME, just from starting with one before dinner or with my meal. All the alcoholic signals came back---Not telling my husband when I had 2, or when I had one regardless of weather I had dinner.I needed to have at least 2 six packs in the house, and got really nervous when down to one bottle. Basically all the signs of an alcoholic covering up their need to seem to not NEED that drink.

.....and Brian is absolutely right there are people who LIKE the taste of an ice cold beer....and this tastes exactly like regular beer.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brian1 View Post
some people like the taste of beer itself regardless of if there is alcohol in it.
exactly!!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
some people are so sensitive to alcohol that some perfumes shouldn't be used.

the kindling effect is real.
I've definitely walked past people using hand sanitizer or spritzing perfume and had the "mmm... vodka" thought pass through my head. then i remember that i was willingly ingesting something that smelled like hand sanitizer!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by isinganyway View Post
I've definitely walked past people using hand sanitizer or spritzing perfume and had the "mmm... vodka" thought pass through my head.then i remember that i was willingly ingesting something that smelled like hand sanitizer!!!
Isinganyway,

EEEEWWWW!!!!! thanks for the hand sanitizer thing. Had a good laugh at that one!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I really liked regular beer a lot back then too, know what you mean.

I also liked what drinking high-octane mouthwash did for me. But sober I don't drink low-alcohol content mouthwash.

Drinking alcoholic beverages was always about the alcohol they contained (the more the better). Drinking a little of something that seems almost the same as what almost killed me isn't tempting, but I've no opinion on how much of it others may choose to drink and their motives for drinking substitutes for their old favorites doesn't interest me.

We each make our own decisions on this question and on so many other things that can help or hurt us.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Interesting.....this is not a comment for or against non-alcoholic beverages. But I'm curious..if one is to be worried about .5% alcohol in a beverage, then would that same person be worried about the .1% alcohol that exists in some fruit juices ( as in orange and apple juice ). I've read that water intoxication would occur before an actual "high".

Don't get the mouthwash thing.....but to each his own Whatever works.
If you had a peanut allergy would you worry about something that possibly only had a quarter of a peanut in it?

Never heard of alcohol in fruit juice, but half a percent in fake beer is pretty much 6 of them = a real one which is more than I'd roll the dice with.

After a night knocking down a few fake beers you can lock yourself in the closet for 10 hours and smoke little bits of sheet-rock or shooting up saline solution. (see what I did there?)
Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Southern Sky

See, I always wondered why I didn't like the scent of hand sanitiser...now I know [vodka = bad bad bad].

I guess whether NA beer is good or bad for the individual is up to the reasons why someone started drinking in the first place. Like, I wouldn't see myself being drawn to drink again just because something looks and tastes like an alcoholic beverage [sparkling fruit juices also come to mind] but then again, my reasons for drinking are not based around the physical sensations that come with drinking.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I didn't read every comment but, if you have to ask, you probably should abstain from them..
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I didn't read every comment but, if you have to ask, you probably should abstain from them..
Hi Captainzing,

This thread was started to tell people who are Alcoholics NOT to drink "non-alcoholic" advertised drinks. They could contribute to a relapse.

I am still having urges to have an O'doul's three weeks after I stopped because I felt the Kindeling Effect taking over. This beer could have started the ball rolling after Many years of sobriety.

It is not the alcohol content .05% it is the ritual of it looking, tasting, smelling like the real thing that gets you back into that alcoholic mindset....at least for me it was.

There should be a warning stating "non alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics only"

Sincerely,
TrixMixer
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
It is not the alcohol content .05% it is the ritual of it looking, tasting, smelling like the real thing that gets you back into that alcoholic mindset....at least for me it was.
I couldn't agree more. Relapse starts in the mind based on my own personal experience.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

what about cooking with wine, I made a chicken dish with a white wine, my son 4 and half years clean/sobor came in ask if he could have the leftovers in the fridge, 2 bites into it he said does this have wine i felt so bad he had to call his sponsor right away. I thought wine cooked out.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Your sons sponsor may have other ideas but I don't think we can be held responsible for things we don't know about.

D
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is a really interesting post... I have absolutely no desire for Odouls, but My uncle who is sober for over 30 years drinks them regularly. He has also expressed that he sometimes feels guilt about it. I might could mention this thread to him...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Another one of these threads. Not sure if this one came before or after the last one I responded to.

Originally Posted by logo View Post
Drink enough of them and you will get high. Logo
You'd have to drink as much as you would to get high on 7up. Odoulls has .4% alcohol, 7up has .3% to .5%. So you might actually get drunk quicker drinking 7up. You'd have to drink about 30 bottles in less than an hour though, just to catch a little buzz. Not worth it IMO. I checked all my info before posting that. It can all be easily googled. The only reason non alcoholic beers put the alcohol content on their labels, and other beverages don't is because the law requires it due to the fact that they're labeling it non alcoholic.

I drink non alcoholic beers from time to time and have no problem with it. I've had six packs sit in my refridgerator for months. Never had a desire to have more than 1, or 2 tops (which I'm not even sure ever happened). They don't speak to me any more than a ginger ale would.

That's not the case for everyone though. I've heard of many people going out after drinking them. If I were doing it to replace my drinking habit I'd steer way clear. If I ever had a desire to drink more than one, or it messed with my head in any way whatsoever, I'd steer clear. I do it because I like the taste once in a while, and it doesn't kick up any desires at all.

Bottom line is some peole have no problem with it, some people have huge problems with it. Is it worth the gamble?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

An interesting topic...
I was considering de-alcoholized wine to help me stay sober, but it might actually make more sense to stay away from it. Not that much concerned about the alcohol content, but the taste...might certainly trigger something nasty.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terrazinaa View Post
An interesting topic...
I was considering de-alcoholized wine to help me stay sober...
That is when IMO it should be avoided like death itself. It would be playing headgames that from all the experience I've heard, doesn't work. Just about everyone I've know that used it to lessen their desire to drink, or as a replacement for drinking, wound up going back to the real thing. I didn't drink non alcoholic beer until I was sober a while, and it was never as a replacement for the real thing. It was because I really wanted to know what it tasted like (they were pretty hard to come by back then), and then from time to time enjoy having one.

Also, when I had my first NA beer pretty much all that was available was Moussie. I think that's why I didn't touch another one for a while after that. Anyone ever drink one of them? I defy anyone to drink more than one.

Also want to note, nostalgically, that when I was around 6 or 7 years old I remember being on vacation one summer and my father finding what must have been one of the first NA beers ever. Near beer. He let me and my brothers have it and it was awesome at the time. Don't remember if I liked the taste or not, but I felt all grown up. Back then if I had the means I probably would have bought it by the case, until I was able to drink the real stuff. I never saw or heard anything about near beer since.

Well lookee what I just found. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Wow. Just realized ya can't post pix on this forum. I can easily see why that's probably a great idea. Anyhow, here's a pic of near beer http://bolttalk.com/attachments/near-beer-jpg.2947/ .
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Another one of these threads. Not sure if this one came before or after the last one I responded to.

You'd have to drink as much as you would to get high on 7up. Odoulls has .4% alcohol, 7up has .3% to .5%. So you might actually get drunk quicker drinking 7up. You'd have to drink about 30 bottles in less than an hour though, just to catch a little buzz. Not worth it IMO. I checked all my info before posting that. It can all be easily googled. The only reason non alcoholic beers put the alcohol content on their labels, and other beverages don't is because the law requires it due to the fact that they're labeling it non alcoholic.

I drink non alcoholic beers from time to time and have no problem with it. I've had six packs sit in my refridgerator for months. Never had a desire to have more than 1, or 2 tops (which I'm not even sure ever happened). They don't speak to me any more than a ginger ale would.

That's not the case for everyone though. I've heard of many people going out after drinking them. If I were doing it to replace my drinking habit I'd steer way clear. If I ever had a desire to drink more than one, or it messed with my head in any way whatsoever, I'd steer clear. I do it because I like the taste once in a while, and it doesn't kick up any desires at all.

Bottom line is some peole have no problem with it, some people have huge problems with it. Is it worth the gamble?
Hi Joe,

AGAIN! It is not the alcohol content it is the drinking ritual that triggers the desire to drink more O' Doul's until you are drinking them like regular beer and then may move on to the reaL thing.

I had been doing the same thing you are doing, Joe, having a 6 pack in the fridge and having one once in a while . It is pretty close to beer and after all "non-alcoholic". Then out of the blue I started having one with my meals. then I was having one with my husband before meals and wanted another one with my meals. My husband asked me" should you be drinking that", and I said of course it is Non-alcoholic.

When I found myself "sneaking" an extra beer either before or after dinner. Thank God the BELL went off and I asked myself why the need to hide this from my husband-----It was the same feeling I got when drinking alcohol.
Obviously it was not the alcohol content and I was not getting "the buzz", but it mentally put me in a place that satisfied the alcoholic in me---the pouring, the beer glass, the foam, that trickle of water down the side of the glass from condensation, and the taste was very close to beer.

Beer was not even my drink of choice it was Scotch, non the less I found myself feeling guilty about sneaking more "non-alcoholic beer". I felt I was setting myself up for the need to have a real drink.

Ya know first you have a NA beer once in a while, then one a night , than 2, than 6, than 10, then WHAT--Maybe the real thing??

I thank God I was able to quit drinking and never relapse in 25 years--I saw something dangewrous in this "ritual" and for ME I stopped it.....and ya know what I missed it, I wanted it, I was jealous when my husband drank the rest I had left. I think that's a BIG RED FLAG!!
If it can happen to me after 25 years of sobriety -----I think it is a dngerous thing for alcoholics.

Furthermore I think the Beer Companies of these so called Non-alcoholic drinks know exactly what these beers are doing . They are advertised so that the ALCOHOLIC believes they are safe by the content of alcohol in each beer, they will replace their addiction with it, and the Ritual or Kindeling effect gets them back to buying the real thing!!!!

This is only MY experience but I wanted to WARN others that if it can happen to someone sober for as many years as me----well do not take the chance.

Non-alcoholic beverages are for Non-alcoholics! Look it up on the web this is what it states--but these beers should have a warning label, and I have already looked into litigation to make this happen.

Call me a "Drama Queen" but to have almost relapsed because of the innocence of the packaging as "ok" to drink---well excuse me but it really pisses me off.

This is ONLY my experience with it--but be CAREFUL!

Trix
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

OH!!....and while I am on my little rant. I found this wonderful site about a week after I had begun escalating my drink. Here is where I found discussion of the Kindling Effect, and I believe reading about it was what saved me from a lot of misery.

Think of the people not on this forum--I had never heard of this before SR.
I have always believed things happen for a reason--at least this is one of the ways I explain my enlightened choice to stop the beer.

Just sayin....and no more ranting, sorr
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Dee thank you very much the chart was helpful and eye opening. My son's sponsor was ok with the mistake. Im thinking I wont be feeding this to my Grandkids anymore lol.