Final straw!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Final straw!

what was the final straw that made you say "no more booze" and how did you gain the willpower and strength to start the process, because i'am sort of stuck' i need more inspiration
shecat x
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dts

Just do it.
In my case I was sick and tired of hating my life. Tried to end it for the ????? time. Then a very special person in my life said to me "it's time to stop drinking, look at you and look at all you could be if there wasn't alcohol in your life destroying you. I don't want to attend your funeral."

At this point I realized there was someone who actually cared about me and looked at the mess my life was. It was really bad.

I've been sober for just over a year and I now have the happiness we all deserve.
Living sober and being able to enjoy every moment, even the difficult ones. As they are lessons on living life on life's terms.

You have the ability and strength to do this!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Dts, you are so right, i want to live my life and not to be dictated to by the demon booze x
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had numerous "final staws". What really did it for me I think was realize truly and fully that this wasnt what I want for MYSELF. I finally computed (took long enough) that I could never obtain anything in life I wanted to and could otherwise achieve (including health) while I lived this way, and furthmore I could accidentall kill myself or someone else at my worst drunken times.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had any number of "final straws" that caused me to decide to quit. Yet none were enough to make the quit stick.

Except the last quit. That stuck. Why? The next morning after an uncontrolled night of drinking I saw, in a moment of utter clarity, exactly where my drinking was taking me. I thank my higher power for breaking through the many veils of denial and stopping my decent into chronic alcoholism.

And even that wasn't enough to provide me the strength and willpower. I had to relapse once again to prove to myself that I was powerless. I found strength through surrender.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For a good long time I figured all the drunken trouble was just kind of the ante to get into the game and I was willing to pay the price. There was always a grey area there where the idea of being sober sounded appealing except for the fact that I knew I had to give up drinking to get there... what got me was when the feel good's didn't feel good anymore and I still couldn't seem to stay stopped. It finally dawned on me that there was never going to be 1 more good time in a drink or a drug for me again and I simply couldn't find a defense against the first one alone.

Took me about a week or so of attending AA meetings to actually finally put a whole day together, but after I knocked down the first day I knew I could do it again and I did.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not sure yet. I an hoping it was this last Friday night (most of which I cannot remember) and Saturday with a wicked hangover and the lowest self-esteem ever. But I am only on Day 3. This is a scenario that has happened to me already several times. I am hoping this one sticks and I finally smarten up.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was admitted to the ER with a severe panic attack. I couldn't stop thinking about how I'd ruined my life, I couldn't catch my breath, I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep and my blood pressure was off the charts. While I was lying in the ER with an IV stuck in my arm, I had a little moment of clarity and knew right there and then that I had to stop for good...and so I did.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
I am not sure yet. I an hoping it was this last Friday night (most of which I cannot remember) and Saturday with a wicked hangover and the lowest self-esteem ever. But I am only on Day 3. This is a scenario that has happened to me already several times. I am hoping this one sticks and I finally smarten up.
When hoping for something, one is uncertain of the outcome. If your addiction were a living beast inside you, I'm sure it would be well pleased that you are just hopeful and not certain in your recovery.

To the question;

I went camping, decided it would be a dry weekend. The first night I drank all the beer we had and made my wife buy me a case the next day.

Then, after the weekend on the Monday, after ball I went out for wings with the guys. I committed to having just two beers.

I drank 7 tall boys, then went to another bar, drank about six more full pints...the bar closed early and I was desperately begging for another drink...which she turned down.

Got home, had a few more.

Next day, I had a day of clarity and knew that I had a serious drinking problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The day I ended up with yet another black eye and bruised nose, scuffed hands and bloody knuckles. From falling because I couldn't even remain standing let alone walk. After I slept it off at a friend's house, I had to, yet one more time, try to remember where my car was.

It took me another week to actually not pick up a drink. But it was certainly time.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I got arrested and then kicked out of my house, ended up in my parent's basement. One week later I started to drink again, which led to a hospital visit and then the feeling of utter and complete surrender - I could no longer do it anymore. I was done.

I had no willpower or strength in me. That was what led me to detox, treatment and AA.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I knew my daughter was fed up and ready to kick me to the curb. By that I mean cut me off from seeing her or my granddaughter. I also spent a whole day throwing up over the side of my bed into garbage bags cause I knew I wouldn't make it to the bathroom. This was after a 5 day binge. I was just disgusted with myself. The way I was living like a pig and all the guilt feelings.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As an adult child of an alcoholic, I drank because I learned early on that it was what you do. So I got into two marriages to alcoholics, and being older, I wanted to fight to save the second marriage. I knew that a lot of the anger and arguments in our marriage were fueled by us both drinking too much. I decided that I would quit drinking in order to be less argumentative and angry and also to set an example that is was possible to quit. That was seven years ago and I have not had a drink since. Unfortunately, my dream of being a good example was seen as being "holier-than-thou" and being "no-fun-anymore" but with each day it is easier to not drink. It is also harder to accept the alcoholic behavior affecting my life so negatively. I have to accept that I cannot change anyone but myself and I hope that I can be a better person in the future.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think I was too stupid too even have a 'final straw'.
Rather, it turned out to be a mega trial with reason proving very elusive.
Better late than never, but much earlier would have been the very much preferred position.