Procrastinating

Old 04-10-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Procrastinating

The wise man does at once what the fool does finally.
—Baltasar Gracián y Morales

As embarrassing as it may be to have to line up with the “fools,� most of us have more than a little expertise at procrastinating. Of course, we know better. We know that avoiding something that we have to do makes us die a thousand times before we finally act & get relief. And we also know how ashamed we feel when we repeatedly cut & run.

Now that we’re working on our self-esteem, we need to take a serious look at behaviors that shame us. The next time a major decision comes up–should I leave or stay? Speak up or stuff it again? Start a recovery program or put it off one more time?–we need to remember what not deciding does to our self-esteem.

The issue that demands decision will not let us rest in peace until we act on it. The shame that squashes our self-esteem will keep building up, layer upon layer, until we finally do what we have to do. How much better to summon the courage we need today, not six months from now & simply get it over with. We’ve surely spent enough time hanging out with the fools.

The sooner the better is the only way for recovering procrastinators.

Believing in myself

Old 04-13-2004, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Re: Procrastinating

As master procrastinator of making the amend to myself I only realized it was something I should of done a long time ago. I would have saved myself a lot of grief and shame. Thanks again Doug.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Re: Procrastinating

Oh! how true is this Doug ! procrastination was a huge feature of my drinking days I'll just have another drink , and think about it ! I am sure many cn relate to that .

When I got sober , i was quite overwhelmed by the things I had to set right in the immediate future . my Sponser had me write a daily list , of only 3 things to do, and to set a time frame for their completion. i ticked them off as I did them, and finally over the weeks caught up, but I still use " my list " I seem to need structure . It works for me

HUGX

Lee